Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sting's new band.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Philbiker, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I saw Sting on the AOL webcast of Live8, and I saw a few AOL rehearsal hall style videos. I have not seen Sting live on his current tour.

He is currently playing a lot of old Police songs. And very much in the old Police style, not at all like the remakes from the "Bring On The Night" and other eras.

His drummer pretty much cops the Stewart Copeland 2 gallons of coffee style.

But the guitarists, I'm sorry, don't even come close to Andy Summers' sound. I mean they're a mile away at least from the sound that playing these songs in this style requires.

And it really messes up the songs.

The bass playing and singing is perfect.

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    im a fan too and would have liked to have seen it also.
    they're releasing a dvd of their last couple tours [first time]which includes some smaller venues.

3. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Why should they have to cop Summers' sound? It's not a tribute band AFAIK. The better Sting/Police IMO songs are good enough that they don't need to be replicated, just played and sung well. I don't believe for one minute that playing a Police song means you are required to sound like the original guitarist. Personally, I don't *want* to hear some guitarist trying to cop some other guitarist's sound.

5. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sting's been playing Police songs live since he left the Police, always in his own way with his current band. His band has always been mostly very hot jazz cats and studio/live sidekick heavyweights. He has never until this tour ever played the songs in the Police style.

It is very obvious what he's going for here.

Much like Roger Waters playing Pink Floyd stuff like "Dogs" live on his "In The Flesh" tour/video, check out how much respect they give Gilmour.

It's obvious what Sting's doing here, and it's kind of neat. It's extremely evident that the guitarrists are going for Summers' approach, but they aren't getting it. The drummer sounds almost exactly like Copeland.
    Me neither, that's why I've always loved the way he's rearranged the material to fit his current bands.

6. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I saw him in Cleveland a few months back. Sting said he was using that lineup to get back to his roots. I got the impressions it was a temp thing.

I actually perfer his 'big band' lineup.

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I try to get my band to sound more like the police. Then they respond "No". Another thing. Sting can do whatever he wants in life and in his music life. If he wants to sound more like the Police he will. If he wants to climb a wall of turtles and sound like more like slipknot he will. After all this is Sting.

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    as long as he doesn't do something like this again...

Attached Files:

9. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    His new drummer is Josh Freese (of A Perfect Circle, The Vandals...he was in Devo for a while, GnR, done a tons of albums including Avril Lavignes 1st, Seether, Evanescence, 3 Doors Down, and more obsure stuff).

The Vandals thing explains why he plays fast, he does play punk (and everything else).

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    he's doing a good stew copeland , but where's the snare crack ?
    i guess stew has it with him ;)

spirits in the material world redux: bassline has lost its nuance,
    i guess this is a singing/bass at the same time thing .

im glad he's out there giving fans what they want in a non-stadium setting.

11. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    ooooooh-oooh, the isrealite.