Stings sound in this NPR Tiny Desk show?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FenrirofOld, Apr 17, 2021.

1. FenrirofOld

FenrirofOld

Apr 17, 2021
    Hey all, long time lurker, figured it was time to join after trying to get more serious about Bass playing. I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight to Stings sound in this NPR Tiny Desk show he did. The lows felt powerful but fairly clean, it looks like a Fender Rig behind him, and I believe he uses DR strings too. Thanks for any input and hopefully this is the right area.

2. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Sting and the Police are the reason I picked up the bass back in the day. I'd guess that's a Fender Super Bassman with a 410. Mids dimed and everything else (or at least the bass) pulled way back if I were to guess more. IMO, much more amp than needed for this, but it's Sting, so what the heck. Great tone (of course)!

Just a guess.

stuntbass77 and Joshua like this.
  3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    According to a 2017 Bass Player interview, he uses DR Nickel Lo Riders, 40-60-80-100. His bass is a '57 Precision. His live rig is a combination of preamps and power amps, probably not what he was using here.

FenrirofOld likes this.
  4. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    I thought when I saw this, I do NOT care for Sting, bit I will check it out. That was AWESOME.

5. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    A lot of it is his right hand technique. You can see how he is plucking down with his thumb, halfway between the bridge and the pickup.

I'd also assume he has the tone down a bit.

6. FenrirofOld

FenrirofOld

Apr 17, 2021
    Thanks fellas. I appreciate the input. I have been wanting to try some DR strings for awhile, but I'll also tinker around with my Rumble 200 and see how close I can get beforehand.

7. I would be willing to bet that his bass is going direct without being mic'd taking the amp out of the equation. It sounds like any good P bass should sound to me going direct into a board, it's difficult to get a bass sound out of any P bass especially direct. Could be DR strings but difficult to tell, most of the highs are rolled off. DR strings are good strings though and are the strings I use when not using flats.

8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    The Stinger Stack from Seymour Duncan certainly plays a part in that great tone.

9. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Am I mistaken or is he rolling his wrist slightly back to catch some thumbnail onto the string for a little click sound on 1 & 3?

Also very pleasantly surprising little couple of pops at 1:05

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021