Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sting's Studio amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rayzorx, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Hello,
    I just got a Sting 53 reissue and I love the sound. I really want to get the sound Sting has on some of the earlier Police albums. Does anyone know what amp he used in the studio at that time?undefined

2. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Glad you dig your bass. Sting, to my knowledge didn't use that type of bass in the Police. He used Fender Ps, Js, Fretless Ibanezes, a Van Zalinge EUB as well as a Steinberger and other things. He was also a fan of layering different tones together as well. As for the amp, he used Marshall Majors in the early days and then went to SVTs and eventually used a custom NYTD Audio system. Hope this helps.

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Didn't he use those great walls of Peavey stacks as well?

4. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    Hey, don't forgot the white Spector! Although, that may have just been on tour.

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    The Spector was just used on the Synchronicity tour. Stuart Spector hand-delivered it to him backstage and asked him to try it. Sting liked it so much he went on to use it for the whole of the tour! :)

6. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I forgot the Spector....Sorry. :oops: Love to thee and thine!

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Sting was also a big fan of the Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400 back in the day. Don't forget he also used alot of Wals.

8. I kinda of dig the Marshall sound myself. Looking for an older tube version. Or perhaps a Fender Bassman 50.

Good info on the basses. I've seen Sting twice (with the Police) and I've seen him playing the Steinberger. I also have a picture of him playing the original 53 P-bass that my re issue looks like. Of course his is more battle worn but sure looks sweet.

BTW, Spector Man. I bought a Spector NS back in 1980 it think. It had the rock maple neck through a curly maple body, and a fretless ebony fingerboard. What a sweet axe! I wish I still had it. I'll try to post a photo of it.

9. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Nice piece!! I'd love to see a photo if you can find one :)