1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stinray vs. Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzbass1967, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Lakland 55-02

29 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray 5

51 vote(s)
    63.8%
  1. I'm thinking of trading my Smith Burner 6 for either a Lakland 55-02 or a Stingray 5. I also have the option to trade it for a Lakland DJ5 but I already have the ultimate jazz bass tone covered. So what which one is better?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Unless you have a 55-02 with Seymour Duncans, these two basses really do not sound anything alike. Personally, I would suggest a Stingray 5 for you since you already have "the ultimate jazz sound." IMO, the 55-02 is really good at getting Fender style tones. The Stingray would give you something different.

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Both, no kiding. I would try to get one of each if possible. The SR5 will give you great basic tone and is the modern day, 5 string "Fender Bass" of days gone by IMHO. The 55-02 is the most versatile, well built bass for the money and is just an exceptional bass.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've owned a 5502 and thought it was a great bass with alot of versatility. However it never "spoke" to me. The stingray is a great instrument for what it does. It doesn't do alot but it does it's thing well. I too love the the jazz bass sound and the stingray is really a good compliment to what you have

5. Let's not froget that ray's have 2 pickups available now.... they absolutly scream tone.

never played a lakland before

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd go Ray5HH! :bassist:

7. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    It's a presonal choice thing, but I'm trying to sell my sr4 so I can replace it with a fretless 55-02. I love my 55-94 it's a great bass, but it is not a stingray.

Bryan

8. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    You mentioned something about the ultimate jazz bass tone... may I ask what that is exactly?

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Well, his name is jazzbass1967, im guessing this could have something to do with it?:bag:

10. Before I owned a Stingray I had desperately wanted one for years and years, ever since I started playing bass. It wasn't until 3 months after I bought one that I got a chance to play a Lakland. It would have been an impossibly difficult decision to pick between them had I encountered them at the same time.

The interesting part is this; the Lakland impressed me so much in 15 minutes that I wondered if I had made the right decision giving into my 12-year-itch for a Stingray!!!

...but I regret nothing... except that my GAS list is now one bass longer than it used to be and just that little bit more elusive than ever.

Anywho, the Laklands IMO are better behaved, more refined sounding - but not quite as goody-two-shoes as a P-bass deluxe. But, the raw beefiness of the Stingray is just one of those sounds that has entranced a heck of a lot of bass players.

11. I played a bunch of Stingray's since y'all speak so highly of them, and I must admit, their manufacturing leaves alot to be desired for a $1100 bass. My 55-01 blows it away. Frankly, every other one was a piece of crap and needed fret dressing and a compete setup to be a player. I just don't think I should be liking the frets on a Squier better than a 'Ray.

A buddy's G&L 2000 is a MUCH better bass than a Ray, imho, of course.

EDIT: I jsut noticed y'all said "Ernie Ball" Stingray, which arent the ones I;ve been playing hanging at local shops. So my comments migth be off base..

12. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well then I have to ask - what other sort of Stingray is there?

13. try Stingray ash body with maple neck! "ala" louis johnson burning, smokin' thump!

14. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Get a new 55-02. I played on ghe new Lakland pre/pickups and they are super and will give you all the stingray goodness you could ask for as well as a whole heck of alot more versatility than an ernie ball. Plus, you get 35" scale, a really nice neck, and great service.

Oh yeah, try them both out first, then decide.

15. nothing beats the original sound of Rays! they're all copycats!!! and the 3 coil switch is awesome, obviously d sound is versatile!

however try 'em both... then decide...

16. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I used to have a Lakland 55-94, but I just couldn't dig the tone. I've been unimpressed with the tone of every one I have played except on 55-94 classic I played. That one was special. That said, I have never played one with the SD pickups and preamp. I also generally favor the feel of 34" scale bass.

On the other hand, I love the stingray tone. I owned one, but only let it go because it was an older model w/ the laquer neck and rosewood fingerboard. I'm more of a maple guy (and yes, I believe I can tell a difference in the sound). The stingray 5 B sting is awesome. Don't let the scale length fool you.