STM 900 live question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ledyard, May 17, 2012.

1. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    1) would you tour with the STM 900 playing 1000-3000 capacity venues?

2) can the STM900 be stacked? as in one run through another for double the power? and if yes would it be abusive to the amp?

Hopefully picking up a STM900 soon to try. If I end up touring again this fall I would want to get a second one to back it up. (provided i dig the amp like I think I will)

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    1. Yes, it's a stage monitor with a good DI.

2. Slaved, each powering a separate speaker, yes. Don't know what you mean by stacked.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    1) Absolutely. I'd use it for any venue.
    2) What he said^^^ Although I'm not really sure why you'd need to do that. Using it with a large cab with a lot of speaker area it'll be pretty frickin' loud. Venues of that size would more than likely have PA support for you to be heard FOH.

4. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think TB member svtb15 has toured with it. You may want check out some of his posts.

5. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    I personally wouldn't, especially if you haven't gigged it yet. Many LOVE this amp- I really, really wanted to love it, but fell short and moved on to an SVT 7 pro. Gigged it about 20 times, rehearsed it twice as many and by itself it sounds AMAZING- when in a live setting it takes a lot of eq work to cut through and not be muddy, and even with that work sometimes it falls short. It's a great amp though and I think GB is sooooo close to an amazing amp here. If they can figure out how to get that eq dialed in, give it more articulation, and less muddy low end they'll have me buying their rig again. For now the 7 pro does everything the STL does without the lacking qualities. Just my pennies...

6. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    one other point- there is a reason why many TBers tube roll with this amp.... I didn't try a bunch of tubes (none local) so I can't speak to the differences- I just know how it sounded stock and wasn't happy with it (live with full band), and neither were any of my three bands or sound guys....

7. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    What was your cab? Very grindy, tight cabs work good with this amp. Warm scooped cabs sound like crap with this amp.

My warm epifanis? Awful with the Streamliner. Clanky, middy weak in the low GK NEOs? PERFECT with this amp.

8. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    mostly used with my Bergantino 4-10 HD. Also rehearsed it a ton with my older GB 410 XB....

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    There are quite a few folks who tour with the Streamliner, they tend to be more pro oriented players and haven't had any difficulties. Some of the guys are here on TB, maybe they can chime in on what works for them in their particular situations.

I know that there are a lot of Streamliners and Shuttles used for international touring, where the player travels with the amp and picks up a cabinet as part of the backline package at each venue. This is probably one of the most common touring applications I see and support out there on the road.

10. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Cab is a Ampeg reissue 810. I was leery before I bought it(being a newer reissue) But thanks to some TB ampeg gurus with serial numbers ect.. its one of the years with real wood and the newer updated (better) drivers. Its a 07' but its post crappy drivers. Anyways it sounds great. Not like mud.

I was planning on the STM900 just to check it out. Guys seem to love them with 810's. However no one has mentioned really that tighter cabs vs. muddy cabs make a huge difference in whether the STM sucks for them.
    Bass wise I use an old P bass and a RW Jazz.

As for FOH sound, yes always. We wouldnt play a show that didnt have it. We put on a big production. Any show we do is either a national opener or a large outdoor event type deal so theres always arena type sound systems there.

Sound wise think ampeg SVT with everything at noon and the mids at 1:00, tone knob half off. I run my guitarist's early 70's SVT now.

If we tour I want to go light weight for now.

If you guys with experience think the STM isnt going to fill the bill, Then I'd be open to a few alternatives. I even considered grabbing an old GK800 and using a sansamp(even though i didnt like the first sansamp I owned)
    I'd be open to a SVT7 since it seems to be getting rave reviews.
    I'd like to keep the price around $700-1000 new or used right now. I definatley DONT want a "modern" sound.

If we had a full time road crew and I didnt have to carry anythiing then I would just get an AD200B or pony up for a SVT VR reissue.

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Different players have different preferences, that's why there are as many amp options on the market. Not all amps work for all player's preferences.

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Go and check out the Streamliner Megathreads. There is a ton of info on cab pairings.

The basic gist is that cabs with a mid scoop and a ton of low end don't seem to pair up as well as other cabs. The STM has a hefty amount of low end, so it usually turns out to be too much of a good thing. Sounds great in a solo environment, but in a live situation you can get lost in the mix.

Although I haven't personally tried it I would think it would pair up quite well with a Ampeg 810. IIRC, Kurt has used one in a lot of concerts and loves it. I'm sure he'll chime in eventually.

It would definitely fit the bill. Whether it's the sound you want is another story.

13. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Agree it's perfect for your ask

Results can depend on the kind of music you play. I use it in a 3 pc Blues band w/ GS112s and contrary to popular belief it's great...band never happier.

Fills the open spaces and cuts thru w/ clear articulation. You really should check out for yourself...cannot believe how easy it is to lug around and the sound it gets.

Caveat is you probably will need some time to dial in your town....took m a few gigs

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I would think the naturally attenuated deep lows of the 810 would be quite a nice match for the Streamliner. They are a little heavy in the lows bit the knobs do turn both ways.:D

Check out john_k's threads for some good Streamliner/SVT/7Pro comparisons with tech stuff, RTA's, etc., soundclips, and actual "on the gig" user impressions, lots of good info there. Several guys here do exactly what you're considering doing with them, so good real-world advice there too.

15. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    sounds like all you're using it for is a stage monitor right? The size of the venue and the amount of people is insignificant- your tone will be FOH. You don't have to worry about cutting through (the sound guy does). The STL should be great for this kind of application!

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    This was my impression when he mentioned 1000-3000 seat venues. The rig is for just you and the band, and in the case of pro level monitoring/big sidefills that can give good bass tone or IEM's, it could easily be a strictly personal thing.

At that level, assuming your FOH engineer will let you, the DI becomes the biggest feature, along with reliability/consistency, etc. and Genz's are true pro quality on all counts.

17. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Ill be heard

ry%3D480.jpg

The Streamliner pushes the 412 for big gigs... the 115 stack for medium gigs & a 115 for church

18. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    The reason I mentioned the venue size is that these larger places sometimes have rooms that swallow up the bass sound. We did a national opener last week and I had to turn the svt head I was using up to 4 to be able to hear myself. It usually.never leaves 3. We are usually loud on stage. 2 guitars, and a full B3.
    Does the DI on the STM send the preamp sound to FOH or just a sterile Signal? Having my old SVT ll was nice because I sent the ampeg tone and my EQ'ing to FOH so my ampeg tone was out front.

Music wise for me , I can't post a link as I'm on my phone atm. You could YouTube Elephant Mountain all album tracks are there. Tone wise live right now think old early Geezer. I assume with the STM I would turn the mids up and the gain up just enough to make it a little gritty.

We usually have big side fills but my guitarist that's set up to my right starts complaining if he weren't there then it would be a non issue and I'd just get it in the monitors.

19. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    That's some good music. Old early geezer nails it, least for this old early geezer

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021