STM 900 live question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ledyard, May 17, 2012.

1. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    The Streamliner 900 will be used by our Artist Sam Sims on the upcoming NBC TV show "Duets" His rig is a STM-900, Uber Quad and Uber 115.

I think you should be OK. ;)

As far as "stacking" you will be ok running the Preamp out into the poweramp in of another STM 900 if that's what you mean. You Can Not plug in the powered signal into another amp, it would do bad things.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I figured you were playing larger scale events.

Generally, at this level, the FOH engineer is going to prefer a pre-eq DI as his rig is going to sound very different out in the house than what your rig will sound like on stage. 2 different listening environments, one is far field and one is near field with all the associated acoustics involved.

If you feel like you need some grit out in the mix, you can go post-eq but be sure to work with the FOH guy so that what you are sending him eq-wise doesn't conflict with what he need to do to get you to fit into the mix. remember, you are not hearing the MIX from the audience perspective over the PA. Generall, mild eq won't be a problem, but regardless of your rig, the best results comes from working with FOH and not against him.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Yes.
    Yes.
    I don't know - what is the PA situation and what is the room like?

Every room is different. Apart from "needing" 200 watts (more or less) - the PA should be doing ALL of the work - period.

BTW - What you hear on stage will NEVER = what it sounds like in FOH. Get used to that.

4. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I have no issues working with the FOH guy. Normally, probably 8 out of 10 shows we have our own engineer so I get mic'd and DI'd. But if we dont have our guy and i run a gritty dirty sound with no pedals then I'd rather run a pre EQ to FOH so that even though he tweaks it the grit will still be in there.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    If you are running with some overdrive on your amp, the pre-eq output signal will not contain the overdriven component of the signal, just the bass signal itself.

Take a look at the signal block diagram in the manual to familiarize yourself with the points where the DI signal is taken from. That will help you decide what method is best for you.

6. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Sorry....I meant post EQ:scowl:

Theres a local bass player who is friends with our singer and we have talked Genz gear before and he said he would be happy to bring his STM 900 up to our next rehearsal for me to get hands on! Cant wait.
    I got to hear him play it saturday night but it was pointless because he has a hi-fi type of thing going on. But assured me I would love it through my SVT cab. He used to be a SVT guy too.

7. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Might be worth bearing in mind that the Streamliner is a very nice sounding amp, but is mid-scooped with fairly hefty bottom end when the knobs are at noon. It would probably be a good idea to read through some of the older threads which talk about EQ, particularly how to adjust the EQ to get close to a flat response. If you're wanting a somewhat mid-boosted tone, it might take some sculpting to get there. Although it is somewhat heavier, I'd also suggest trying the SVT-7PRO, as it may be closer to what you're used to.

8. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I completely ignored it when it came out(the 7pro) because i was waiting to see if it was underpowered or unreliable. Now that it seems to be neither and that i am also in the market its starting to peak my interest also.

9. The Pro 7 is flavour of the month now. Not saying it isn't great, but the Streamliner is awesome and is not lacking in mids. Plus, Genz cannot be beaten for support.

10. boethius

boethius

Sep 27, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I have an STM900 and absolutely love it! I come from about 30 years of pure tube snobbery and a back injury was limiting my ability to lug my SVTs around anymore. Nothing can replace the sound of hot 6550s, but this comes fairly close...and at 7 pounds is awesome!

There are numerous threads here on TB surrounding the Streamliner. The funny thing is a lot of people have an aversion to it because setting all the controls at noon is not always optimal and can require some serious tweaking. In my opinion it's simply because the preamp is pure tube driven and has such a high gain capacity. If anything it just shows the flexibility of the "simple" preamp. It does not hurt my back any to turn the knobs a little and the tone can go from crystal clean pure on my fret less to as grindy and hairy as I need it to be. I have it paired with an uber 115, which has blown me away as well as it has been years since I have used 15s favoring 810, 410, and 212 combinations.
    Try everything before you buy and make sure it meets YOUR needs. Audition with your ears...your eyes will betray you, but your ears won't.

11. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    It will do either. There's a pre/post switch.

Ooops... Late to the party.

12. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Actually I dont read much in the amps forum to get caught up in the flavor of the month. The SVT 7 was just appealing because it is 1000 watts and would have an ampeg tone flavor and is light weight.
    After going back over some specs on the STM and being reminded that there are 3 preamp tubes and what their functions are then comparing that to the single pre tube SVT7 it pretty much takes the SVT out of the running.
    Opinions from experienced SVT tube users like yourself and the local guy I have been talking to have pretty much made me take back my interest in the SVT7.
    The issue I have with any online clips of the STM (and the SVT7 for that matter) Is everyone seems to think bass amp demos should be slap and pop demos played through hi-fi sounding basses. I hate slapping and popping:spit: so its a big turn off. Plus everyone has the amp dialed into a "modern" sound. Even when Ed Friedland demo'd the gain part of the amp he just cranked it all the way up so it had this awful clippy fuzz sound through that horrible carvin bass he was playing.
    I'm pretty much sold on the STM. Besides....if I dont like it I'll be able to get my money back out of it. But I will definatley give it some time.

13. Good call. Give it a try. It really does have a huge thickness and tube complexity to it (but yet with crystal clear clean if you require) that I've never heard before. Bass on 10 o'clock and mids boosted a bit = pretty much 'flat'.

I have nothing against the Pro 7. If you want the Ampeg tone, its gotta be a contender. It has been proven to not be 1000W (not that it matters in reality) and Im sure there are ways to coax the 1000 from it, but the difference in volume, I imagine, between the Pro 7 and Streamliner 900 is not worth thinking about, (as you no doubt realise).

14. boethius

boethius

Sep 27, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Not being much of a slapper myself, I'd tend to agree. I have no idea how well this slaps or any other amp from experience...but I know I can get a nice thick meaty tone and have been able to refine it with some tube swapping. I'm still amazed at how versatile this little amp is , how good it sounds, and how it can absorb the flavor of different preamp tubes with ease. I play fretless and fretted interchangeably...and this works wonderfully with both...and I can carry it without issue! Have fun! Let us know what you think.

15. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
  16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Don't have a whole lot to add. I'd be curious as to your impression of it after a few go-rounds.

+1 to watch the low freq. content running post-eq giving an unfamiliar engineer more to fix in a DI only situation. There, I might be inclined to deal with a little less low content on stage to keep the flavor in FOH if need be. Mic + DI and/or your regular engineer, really a non-issue.

And +1 to fast, slappy, zingy demo's being pretty much worthless IMO.:D

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
  18. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Sorry that i took so long. This is the first that I have seen this thread...

1) Yes.. I do...I have used my Streamliner 900 on large venue shows from 300 to 15,000+.. And i used the DI out too.. Sound folks loved it...
    I do so in the USA and in Europe.. All i have to do is flip the switch to change the voltage and put a 220 adapter on the AC plug and were going..

2) I have run my STM 900 and SM9,2 together.. using the STM900 pre..
    Plug bass into STM900 and connect speaker cab to it.. Then run shielded 1/4" out from EFFECT SEND to EFFECTS Return on the second amp and connect speaker to second amp... Works perfectly...

But when i go overseas i mainly only use the STM900 since it goes in my Suitcase or with the guitar players pedals in a seedcase and crew...
    Here are some pics at one of the joints in Europe.. I have new ones from last week that i will upload ASAP..

I use IEMs on most gigs to monitor...so one STM900 or one SM9.2 does the gig for me.
    Some old photos to share with you...

kirk_powers.gif

IMG_6474.gif

DSC_5018.gif

IMG_6447-1.gif

250240_2120859854911_1048234517_2417010_7483733_n.gif

DSC_4999-1.gif

IMG_6483-2.gif

IMG_6468.gif

19. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    I'd suggest not to let the number of tubes affect your decision. Try both (and other amps as well) and let your ears decide. It's probably safe to say that the SVT-7PRO is going to sound a lot more like an all-tube SVT than the Streamliner.

20. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    I'm NOT a tube snob, and the SVT7 sounds much warmer to me than the STM. Not sure how or why with just the one tube vs the 3 in the STM. I also didn't think I was going for an "Ampeg" sound. To me, after gigging the STM for a solid year and feeling like I was working way to hard to get it to sound good on stage I got frustrated with it. One rehearsal with the SVT 7 and I sold my STM to my guitarist. The STM is an amazing amp, just wasn't what I was yearning to hear.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021