Stoboscopic Tuners

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassplayajew, Mar 15, 2002.

1. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm not sure this is in the right forum....What does everybody think of stroboscopic tuners? Are they worth the money? I ask because I was suggested to replace my BOSS TU-12 with a stroboscopic tuner so the intonation on my basses will be very precise. I looked one up and saw the very large price, which is not a huge problem but I'm not sure if there's going to be that much of a difference and if it is worth the money. If so, which preform the best? Suggestions, coments, insults are all, as usual, greatly apprieciated. Thank you.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Peterson's the only real name in the business. They're more accurate than any digital tuner, but you have to consider the fact that they're entirely mechanical devices, ie. not entirely roadworthy. If you decide to shell out the $400 for one, make sure that you treat it with kid gloves.
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I dunno...the new Peterson VS-1 can be had for around the same
    price as the ever-popular DTR-2, and it's boatloads more accurate.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Waste of money. Your ear can't discern any difference in accuracy between a stroboscope and a digital tuner.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Probably true. And your audience won't care, either!
  6. I always thought that kind of accuracy was only needed if you used MIDI pickups? :confused:
  7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    meh, I'm with munji here: I use a tuning fork and my ears... gotta love relative pitch and harmonics
  8. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    the only people who should be buying one of those are luthiers and really rich bassists who want to waste their money. you wont be able to hear any difference, really.
  9. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Ok so I go for my first ever studio session. I tune with my 20 dollar chromatic tuner. I see a strobe tuner in the studio and figure I better use that one to be sure. Low and behold it reads exactly the same as my 20 dollar tuner. Looks to me like I saved 380 bucks. NUff Said.:eek:
  10. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I was reading some of the stuff on it, about how there's no jumping between notes and stuff because I'm finding it very hard to fine tune the intonation of my B strings, and it seemed like it was the answer. FYI I found it for 120 bucks.
  11. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    What if the piano is out of tune? :) :)

I like my tuning fork: It is impossible for it to be wrong for A440.
  12. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Why not try tuning on your 12th fret harmonic. I believe I'm right in saying that the Hertz at low B are so few that it can give tuners problems, so using the harmonic gives it more to gauge the note by.

I use a TU-2 (on "stream" mode coz it's whizzy and pretty) and it handles a low B fine. I tend to use the harmonic anyway just to give it a slightly easier time but either work.
  13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I believe the purpose is "...and if there isn't one?". ;)
  14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i asked my bass teacher, who happens to have decades of guitar playin' experience under his belt, about strobe tuners. he said that they were really "overkill" for stringed instruments and pianos, and they were meant to be used on "one-tune-only" instruments like keyboards (which kinda puzzles me...but i guess those note samples have to get in tune somehow!!).
  15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    What if you drop it and a little tiny bit of it chips off?

16. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    :D Then it's off... but it's German, so it won't break. :)
  17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    they cost about 3 dollars anyway, so fire it at the drummer and buy a new one. Then as your tuning up you can laugh as the drummer tries to eat with it.
  18. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
  19. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    When I try to tune the B string open, it won't even register in the tuner. I sort of have to tune with the harmonic but even so, the indication needle jumps around so much that it makes finding a steady and accurate reading very difficult. The only reason is that when you play high notes on low strings, the vibration is so much stronger and that presence combined with an octave is so easily noticed, so the intonatio becomes extra crucial. I have enough similar problems with the E string. I use D'addario Slowounds but I've replaced the B string with a Ernie B because the Ernie sounds better to me. I don't understand how people like JT use those exposed core strings because they sound, to me, sooo incredibly weak. I know to tune the 12th fret harmonic to the 12th fret note and adjust the saddles n such. I've gotten the intonation as close as I can but the 24th fret is always too sharp. Can someone tell me what causes this, and/or how to fix it? As always, any feedback is greatly apprieciated and needed.