1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stock Audio of Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I plan to buy a Mac Book Pro. It'll be my first ever Mac. How good is its audio interface for recording and playback? Should I get an external audio interface?

2. Getting an audio interface is a better idea.

3. Jibudo

Jibudo

Mar 13, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    In my macbook pro 13, i don't have any mic imput, just an output to phones. I already had a m-audio firewire audio interface and had to buy a special cable, to plug the firewire 400 output of the interface to the firewire 800 input of the mac.

4. Alucard817

Alucard817

May 18, 2010
    Tampa,Fla
    I dont see why paying so much money for a macbook is even necessary when any PC can do what you want just as well, and do it cheaper.

I am a PC tech and all you need for ANY Windows PC is a decent sound device, mixer or cab head and simple recording software.

No need to spend 1,200-2,200 bucks on a Computer when you only need a few hundred.

5. Please, this was not the question. I'm sure you have your opinions as do a lot of others, but if you want to discuss this already hacked to death topic then maybe start a new thread so that only those interested in going through that whole ordeal can participate!

To the OP, both the line in and the mic in are pretty good, and fine for recording practicing/rough band practices etc (I've even used the mic to record bits of 'proper' records as well, crunch to the max! But thats another story) but if you want to get into it at all properly then an interface is the way to go.

6. Alucard817

Alucard817

May 18, 2010
    Tampa,Fla
    Perhaps the Op doesnt realize or know that ANY PC will do what he wants.
    When people talk about sound recording or studio sound they typically refer to MAC's, and that gets ingrained into many people who think only MAC's can do this stuff.
    Do you know how many people I have dealt with that think only Mac's are good at sound recording or movie making?
    Or better yet do you realize how many people think that you can only edit audio, video on a MAC?
    I get these questions quite often, and since our friend here has stated this would be his first MAC.
    Besides Just trying to save the man some money that could be better used....like on a new bass :)

7. Perhaps he does know a PC could do, but he wants to buy a mac. And he is asking for advice on an Audio interface.

Certainly SOME PC's are powerful enough to handle Serious audio Recording and video editing, but I find that the macbook pro design and features are way better than any PC that costs just "A few hundreds"

PC laptops tends to overheat and shut down. With windows you always need to worry about installing an antivirus software and it needs to be running all the time. You might say that if it's a recording laptop one should disable all utilities that are not needed, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a laptop?

I have own both mac and windows and While I enjoying the pletora of possibilties, third part software and hardware for PC's I prefer Mac OS for being a more stable platform for audio recording and editing.

8. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    It is not mandatory. You can just get an inexpensive 1/4" to USB or Firewire plug and go on your way. That said, you will have much more control and IMHO much better sound and more versatility with an external audio interface. M-Audio makes some relative inexpensive but good ones. Personally, I use an older M-Audio Firewire Solo I got on eBay for $55. Works great. Software works fine too. Plugs right into the Firewire port. Actually I plug it in via my back-up FW Hard Drive (which has multiple FW ports.) This also works to power the Interface without a separate cord. Make sure you get the proper Firewire cable although a new one will probably include one. An eBay seller will probably throw one in if asked. M-Audio makes a variety of products - Firewire or USB - so you can go online and check them out. They do show up on eBay all the time so that is definitely an option. Other manufacturers are out there as well. BTW, I am using a new MBP 15" i7. When you hook it up make sure you go into Sound Preferences and make sure the device is selected as the input source. One more thing. A set of good, powered external speakers is a must! Lots to choose from. The internal one just don't cut it at all and are woefully underpowered, especially for live instrumentation playback. All your MP3s, DVDs will sound much better as well.

9. Alucard817

Alucard817

May 18, 2010
    Tampa,Fla
    Or maybe he is like many of my customers. the basic thing I was saying is that some people don't realize their options.

Some PC's? are you kidding me? If you take a MAC, any MAC and compare it to a equal PC they can and WILL do the exact same things.
    Not to mention that a PC is two to three times less expensive then a comparable MAC.

Really? I have never had this problem.
    Any computer not properly maintained can and will over heat not just PC's so this point of yours is moot.
    You do realize that MAC's also REQUIRE anti-viruses right?
    sources.
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/M...y-Vendors-to-Rush-Out-Antivirus-Tools-869344/
    http://www.spamfighter.com/News-15453-Most-Widespread-Malicious-Programs-Spotted-on-Macs.htm
    http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/03/22/windows-more-secure-than-mac-os-x/
    according to Secunia Windows is actually, overall, more secure then MAC.
    Secunia report on OSx.
    http://secunia.com/advisories/product/96/
    149 Secunia advisories
    1408 Vulnerabilities

Windows.

Windows 7
    http://secunia.com/advisories/product/27467/
    46 Secunia advisories
    69 Vulnerabilities

Vista
    http://secunia.com/advisories/product/13223/
    128 Secunia advisories
    224 Vulnerabilities

XP
    http://secunia.com/advisories/product/16/
    305 Secunia advisories
    371 Vulnerabilities

If you add vunerabilities from all three version of Windows listed they still wont add up to the number in Mac's
    You might want to fire up that antivirus.
    Now why couldnt have said that to begin with instead of making baseless arguments.

10. NineSpine

NineSpine

Jun 19, 2007
    Ok, tell me how to make my cheap PC laptop run Logic and Garageband, and use two interfaces as aggregate devices when using those programs. I would also like to do this without having to worry about compatibility with any part of my laptop.

So cmon, tell me how to do that, and I'll be AMAZED.

You people really need to learn to deal with the fact that Macs aren't that expensive relatively speaking. Sure, I can get a cheaper PC that may have similar power, but it is in a complete piece of trash body, lacks firewire 800, lacks magsafe (which has saved my laptop innumerable times), has a garbage screen, has a garbage keyboard, has a garbage trackpad, etc. etc. etc.. You need to spend well over 1K to get a PC with similar feature sets and solid construction. Guess what? That puts you in the same ballpark as a Mac.

Just because a Honda Civic can get you the same places, at the same speeds, as a BMW, does not mean they should be similarly priced.

11. Well, I base my arguments on my experience, and that's what has happened to me. I have changed Windows laptop about 4 times in the past 6 years and they all had overheating issues.

Of course I know mac require Antivirus, But you don't have as much problems as you do with Windows.

You obviously feel really strong about this, but I won't get into a discussion that has nothing to do with what the OP asked. The windows/mac debate will always be an issue and nobody can say one is better than the other, Let me just say that for seious Audio recording I will take a mac over a windows machine anytime, no matter if it costs twice as much as a PC.

12. gricko

gricko

Mar 29, 2004
    stop stealing OP's thread! question was about MBP's built-in audio capabilities and you are flaming each other on computer platform war. if you have something to add on the topic, please do. if not - keep it to yourself.

on topic - MBP's audio interface is decent. better than of an average portable computer. if you cen afford an external interface, do so. there are few quite good and cheap ones. if not - if will work more than fine for home recording in garage band and similar.

13. It's funny because after working in recording studios for a couple years now it seems like the only reason any studio will opt for PC over mac is simply because its cheaper, no other solid reason. Other than that 9 out of 10 studios will use macs for recording and editing.

So though 90% of the computer market may be PC, in contrast I find that about 90% anyone doing audio or post production work use Mac.

Bottom line Both Mac and Pc are just tools however some tools are better for certain uses or budgets.

As far as the OP goes You definitely want an external audio interface with some decent preamps. maybe something like an apogee duet and run it with whatever DAW you like.

Secondly its important to ask how many preamps you need? what are you planning to record? it will help narrow down suggestions

14. Alucard817

Alucard817

May 18, 2010
    Tampa,Fla
    Funny most of the garbage components you state, are actually universal components of BOTH MAC's and PC's.

Side note:
    My PC cost me 785 bucks to build, all I would need to bring mine to your specs is to buy the Firewire card which is 20 bucks.

15. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    Yes you should invest in a decent external interface.

16. Good for you, now do you have anything to say about the need of an audio interface?
    I'm glad you like your cheap awesome Laptop.

17. Alucard817

Alucard817

May 18, 2010
    Tampa,Fla
  18. FYI, but interfaces you listed work with either mac or windows.
    The presonus has 2 mic preamps, and a total of 10 inputs while the Mbox has only 2 inputs. The presonus is firewire while the mbox is USB.

By the way are you talking about a $700 PC desktop or a laptop?

19. Alucard817

Alucard817

May 18, 2010
    Tampa,Fla
    Had no clue both of those would work with both MAC and Windows. learn something everyday.
    I listed Mbox as windows because it comes with ProTools.

My PC is a desktop cost me 785 dollars to build.

20. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I've found the line in of my MacBooks to be sufficient to record from the main outputs of a small mixer. Anything more than that and I would get a dedicated interface, preferably FireWire for the least latency.

Oh and by the way, Macs are better than worthless PCs :D - just feeding the troll!