Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stock Fender P pickup replacement......

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nunk6, Jan 17, 2001.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    is there a pickup that is worthy of being put in to replace this stock pickup?

2. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I replaced the stock pickup in my Fender P with a Bartolini 8S. It was a big improvement. More output, better clarity, warmer tone. It's especially good with flatwounds.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm sure the Bart 8s is a good pickup, in fact I may try one one of these days myself - but what sound are you looking for? There are a ton of good pickups on the market, each with its own personality. Also, why don't you like the stocker? Is it MIM or MIA or MIJ?

4. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    oh sorry, its a MIM fender, im basically looking for more output and better low end/punch
    i like the overall tone of the stock, so im not looking for a huge change; just more low end as its weak on the stock pickup

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I had CBS Precis for a very short while. I put some Seymour Duncan Bassline Quarter Pounders in it and it made that thing "born again." Would never replace my pre-CBS though.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Like I say, I haven't tried the Bartolini 8S. It might be just what you're looking for. However, I have tried both the Basslines SPB-2 Hot, and the SPB-3 Quarter Pound. I prefer the SPB-2. Plenty of output, and a smoother top end than the Quarter Pound. The Quarter Pound has a lot more highs, and while it was OK, it seemed a little clicky to me. Either one is probably a lot better than the stock MIM pickup, but I like the Hot better for the deep, thumpy sound. I can get good definition from it as well.

If you just want the classic P-Bass tone, you might try the Fender Original 62 pickup. It also seems to get good reviews.

7. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Go with the Barts, you won't be sorry.

8. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I was going to put the Bart 8S in my '75 P largely because of my positive experience with Barts in my Jazz. But somebody suggested I take a flyer on Rio Grande Replacement for P.....so I did. I love the result. A little more output but much bigger bottom, "toppier" highs and fabulous all around clarity and balance. I'm very sure I would have been happy with the Barts but now I'll never know.