Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stock market and investing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Oct 17, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    someone had to do it.

oh, real estate too.

california house prices have gone nutzo. house on my street just sold for $465,000!

:eek:

f

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Quickest way to double your money- fold it over and put it back in your pocket.

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    It's a roller-coster ride.

On any given day I may make or loose $50,000.00.

4. THAT IS A CLASSIC! :D

I'm definitely gonna remember that one!

Mike J. :)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This week in the UK, analysts have been predicting "deflation", as opposed to inflation and a house-price crash!

Don't bother to save up for anything or get credit - just wait until it comes down to what you can afford. ;)

6. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    funny how out here in calif, they've been talking about the housing bubble bursting anyday now!

i bought 6 years ago, and my home value has doubled.

sure its cyclical, but i get weary of hearing about recessions, inflation, and other economic conditions before they've even happened.

i understand there are indicators that may forsee this stuff, but most of the people talkin this crap don't have a clue.

f

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Here in the US, there are reports that companies are "offering" pay cuts of anywhere from 2% to 10% rather than offering job cuts. And, in my neighborhood in Chicago, one of the fastest growing in the city, a friend of mine just bought a condo for less than the previous owner paid 2 years ago.

These are not good economic conditions, except for those who sell short!;)

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why wouldn't it? It did in San Francisco and Manhattan!:(

9. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm not saying it wouldn't.

my point is that many of the people screaming the sky is falling, don't have any background in economics.

mostly those that don't own a house.

oh, and try to buy a house in Palo Alto these days.

OR SF!

OR Santa Barbara.

it may drop a bit...but the racheting is on the uphill slope for sure.

f

10. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.

As someone qualified to talk that crap, I couldn't agree more. Put my money where my mouth is and made a lot more money because of it.

Here is a Great Truth : Stock markets are institutionalized fraud. If you approach them as such and learn from your hard knocks and those that have gone before *with their eyes and minds open*, then you can do very well through any cycle.

My personal style - run with the lemmings, turn left at the cliff and short the lemmings on their way over. Even give 'em a push if need be. Works great !

11. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    that's why i bailed on my mutual funds 3 years ago.

housing values may rise and fall, but they still kick ass at tax time.

and with rents out here topping $2500 for a 3 bedroom apt in Irvine, i'm living in the hills with a 2 story 4 bedroom house with a pool and jacc for $1650 P&I!.

f

12. YES!!!! Finally!! Thank god for that.... as a 20 year old and with the current high house prices I was dreading leaving home. A crash is just what I need.

13. British

British

Sep 5, 2002
    Here's how I look at it.

What's the number one rule for investing in the stock market?

Buy low, sell high.

Okay, so the stock market is low right now.

So what does that mean we should be doing?

14. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Don't forget what happened in 1990 - 1993, house prices dropped big time in most of the UK - especially in the South.

So it does happen and could easily happen again.

Now as for stock - my company stock was sat at $100 a couple of years ago, it's now $12 (but has split so it's really only dropped to one quarter of it's previous value).

Best just buying loads of basses and enjoy....

Andy

15. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Also, housing starts were up much higher than expected but so were jobless claims. Something's gotta give.

Josh, yes please 'bore' me via here, PM, or email if you would. Even if I think I understand something I very much enjoy someone else explaining it to me. New angles, new ideas, etc. Much respect.

Cheers !

16. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    here in calif in the late 80's house prices went out of control.

i figured i'd never buy a home.

then BAM, early to mid 90's the values dropped.

i bought in 96 for $242,900.

today, $460,000.

as i said, it is cyclical. but at nearly double my orig price, i figure i can weather the next drop.

famous last words!!!!!

at least i have an original ZAP 0 Donahue edition.

f

17. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to invest in the stock market in the early to late 90s. It was easy to make money back then. I've lost so much money in stocks over the past 2 years that I decided to sit things out for awhile.

Now, I just put my money into basses & other gear, bond mutual funds, and CD/money market instruments. It's safer for now.

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The safest investment Ive seen lately, imo is investing $20 in TalkBass to become a supporting member.