1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stock or modded Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Craig_S, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Questions for Squier, MIM, CIJ, MIJ and MIA players.

How many of you play bone stock Fender basses?

Modders: what have you changed?

Please name the model and year of your basses.

2. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    '99 MIM Precision, '62 RI pickups, CTS pots, CS tort pickguard. It came that way in a trade deal, but I'm not complaining.

3. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Two MIM P's, Both Stock....

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    MIA Fender P: Hipshot A style bridge and drop D tuner

The rest are stock. Well, the fretless isn't... but that's a different story.

5. Stock, all of them...

6. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    2000 Jaco Tribute Jazz Bass
    • Frets removed; replaced with Maple inlays
    • Original bridge replaced with Leo Quan BA-II
    • Series/Parallel switch installed
    • Strap buttons replaced with Schaller straplocks
    • HipShot D-tuner installed

2006 AV'75 Jazz Bass
    • Original bridge replaced with Leo Quan BA-II
    • Series/Parallel switch installed
    • Strap buttons replaced with Schaller straplocks
    • Plastic control knobs replaced with knurled chrome barrel-type
    • Custom pickguard

:D

7. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    All of what, though? You haven't let us know what basses.

8. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Do CIJ fenders not count here?? I've got 2 stock CIJ precision a and a modded '02 P with quarter pounders and a badass II

9. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Squier Amber VM:
    SD SPB-3 pickup wired straight to jack
    Warmoth black pickguard without control holes
    Electrosocket side output jack
    Mighty Mite maple Jazz neck
    Vintage style threaded saddles

10. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    '04 P-Bass Deluxe Special MIM (P/J)
    All stock 'cept for different pick guard

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I am omitting Fender basses I owned in the 60's and 70's...

1955 P-bass: Stock, but restored (nitro finish, pickup rewind).
    1971 P-bass: Stock, but B neck is from a '69 P. Neck has been refretted and refinished.
    1991 '51 P-bass RI (sold): Stock, previous owner added finger grip and SD vintage RI pickup. I added bridge/pickup covers.
    2001 60's Classic Jazz (sold): BAII and Lindy Fralin split-coil pickup, frets leveled.
    2008 Roadworn Jazz: Stock, but neck heat-treated.

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    My Fenders..........
    (10 out of 14 of them are stock):
    original 1962 precision bass (not an RI)-stock
    1971 p bass-stock
    1970 p bass stock
    1973 P bass stock
    2004 AVRI p bass w/orig 70's maple neck -duncan SPB1
    1988 AVRI p bass w/orig 70's maple neck- stock
    1966 jazz bass-stock
    '71 jazz bass-stock
    '72 jazz bass-stock
    1973 Jazz bass- EMG JV's w/ EMG BTC (bass/treble contols)
    1955 P bass (restored)- stock
    1968 Tele Bass- stock
    Blue floral mid 50's RI P bass- fralin side by side single coil
    2002 Jaguar Bass- dimarzio ultrajazz pickups, EMG BTC preamp, maple block/bound neck, CTS pots, AVRI bridge, res-o-lite tuning keys

13. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    Modded Fender Jaguar.
    Replaced the tone cap with a .1 cap, and the volume with a stacked 500k pot, so now one vol for each pickup. IMO, having on/off switching with jazz pickups leaves you with less control over the sound, since you can't hit those sweetspots.

Replacing the tone cap also made a dramatic improvement. I can go A LOT deeper with the tone rolled off, which sounds especially pleasing with the bridge p/u soloed. I kept the series/paralell switching, but I never use it anymore, dont need it.

Now the only "problem" is that the two pickup switches are not connected to anything, so I'l have to find something for them to do;)

14. dudelove

dudelove

Apr 16, 2010
    Greenland, Nuuk
    my mim jazz and ttribute l2500 are almost stock, i have strap-locks on my jazz and all others are stock, and i have gibson tone and bass control on my tribute

15. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    09 mim p bass - Seymour Duncan spb2 pickups, cts pots, fully shielded and body refinished in nitro surf green.
    It's my number 1 bass now!

16. bendy

bendy

Sep 21, 2011
    Minneapolis
    99 MIM sunburst Jazz modded with: Dimarzio Area Js, a tort pickguard (replacing the original parchment), and bakelite nobs (replacing the original strat nobs).

17. Since this is going to end up being a collective of Fender guys in the end, I wanted to ask you all about MIM Squier Jazz basses. Anyone else have one?

My MIM Squier was made in 96'. I have changed the 1 piece pickguard to a seperate pickguard/control plate setup (control plate had to be widened to fit the pots), changed the white strat knobs to traditional Jazz knobs (black with the white line indentation), changed the input jack to a switchcraft, and it now has a Tusq nut.

I think I might have a rare bird here, not that it is going to make it extra valuable or anything (it is a Squier afterall). I even called Fender on it awhile back. They told me that the neck and body were USA extras from the California plant shipped to Mexico during the Squires transition to China. The electronics are Chinese. They couldn't give me any info on hardware.

18. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Almost all my basses are "Frankenbasses",or modded with the parts and pieces I prefer. My players are..

'02 Blk sparkle Sq. P/J-- brand new blocked Jag neck,MIA p'ups,CTS pots,MIA tort 'guard,vint. threaded barrel bridge,chrome Jazz bridge ashtray,knobs from a buddy's pointy Ibanez

'08 Sq, VM J-- Rwd J neck from an '05 SQ, Lindy Fralin single coils,tort 'guard,CTS pots,BadAss II bridge

'09(?)Warmoth '72 P--Tort 'guard,Lindy Fralin 10% overwound p'up,CTS pots,Hipshot Ultralites,Hipshot high mass bridge,Warmoth mpl/mpl Tele neck

(?)Warmoth Sonic Blue P-- MIM tort 'guard,SeyDunc SBP 3 p'up,CTS pots,gold vint. threaded barrel bridge,gold knurled knobs,AllParts Lefty neck,set up righty,maple w/a curly maple 'board,gold MIA Fen screwless ultralite tuners

'97 Reverend Rumblefish J/J-- Now a P/J config,custom paint/pickguard,Luther Lee P/J p'ups,BadAss II bridge,CTS pots(V/V/T),Hipshot Ultralites

(?)Douglass Pisces-- Tele style bass,black with chrome Thunderbird 'buckers,CTS pots,BadAss II bridge,matte black 'guard,vint. style Hipshot tuners,reshaped Tele headstock

'76 Fen P-- Black/maple,stock aside from brass nut,'76 DiMarzio p'up,and a BadAss bridge

They all have Donlop strap locks as well..

19. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    From Left to Right:

2008 Geddy Lee Jazz
    Hipshot Tuners
    Hipshot String Retainer
    Black PG
    Stellartone Tonestyler

2009 Highway One Pbass
    Neck from 2011 '70s Pbass
    Hipshot String Retainer
    Black PG

2011 '70s Pbass
    Neck from 2009 Highway One Pbass
    Hipshot String Retainer
    NOT PICTURED:
    Tort PG
    Ashtrays

Attached Files:

20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    83' SQ Squier P bass-Stock
    84' SQ Bullet bass-Stock
    74 Musicmaster- added a 78'P bass wiring harness instead of the original Musicmasters pots/cap (bad)
    97' Squier Vista Musicmaster-Stock

All have Dunlop staplocks. I only see mods if the bass needs it and a bass that calls to me seldom does.. unless a part fails.