1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stock pickups in my MIM 2000 Precision

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bumperbass, Jul 14, 2012.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I am sorry if this question has been addressed before. I have looked and looked, so my apologies.
    I was wondering if my bass's original pickups are standard P pickups or whether Fender went cheap on the MIM ones from this era.
    Pickups are not that hard to manufacture, especially for Fender, so I can't imagine that they'd save a bunch of money by skimping on them, since IMO, it would hurt their reputation.
    So why am I asking? I just bought one of these, and it's my first P in about twenty years. I'm doing a shielding job on it and replacing pots and jacks, as well as a setup of course.
    So, if these are simply regular Fender pickups from that era (same as MIA, maybe??), I won't bother changing them out until I play the bass in a real gig situation and find I don't like it. I don't really care if it has an 'xyz' brand pickup in it if I can get a real Fender sound from it.
    I had a '74 P-bass and it sounded fine to me. I don't really want to get caught up in this "You should buy a ____ pickup", etc. Everybody has an opinion. I just want to know what my OEM pickup is.
    Thanks, guys.

2. So if you don't care about the brand, and (if) it sounds good, would it matter if it's MIM?
    Just play and and then decide with your ears.

Check this out (MIM): http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/bass_guitars/013-6000B_SISD.pdf

versus this (MIA): http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/bass_guitars/019-3200_02A_SISD.pdf

From here: http://www.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-service-diagrams

I'd guess from the service diagrams that the pickup is made in Mexico, although there's nothing necessarily wrong with that.

3. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Thanks, shake! Kinda weird that the Mexican part number is listed as a set, and the American is listed as neck and bridge.
    I guess what I'm expecting to find out is opinions like:
    1. "I own both and the Mex sounds just fine".
    2. "Most TB'ers say the MIM pickups are inferior and don't like them".

The main reason I'm asking is, I'll have the thing apart anyway so if I get a strong sense from some replies that it is not a very good pickup, I'll go ahead and change it out.
    I appreciate those links!

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The mexican ones sound pretty good after a proper shielding job, but they are totally different from MIA. The pre-98's I have seen had what appeared to be different pu's than the 2000-2004 MIM pu's I have seen. I don't know if they are actually spec'd differently though. Test them out for a month, see if you want to change them, I honestly like the MIM P bass pu's once shielded but I do prefer seymour duncan's or Fender 62's.

They are unique for MIM's as far as I know, as the Squiers I have seen are all different pickups.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have a 2000 MIM Jazz and it's a fantastic sounding bass. Very powerful on the low end, great sound throughout the range. I don't know if it sounds like an MIA and I don't care. It's a great bass right from the factory. If the P is comparable (and it should be) then the only question is whether you like the sound. If so, play it.

6. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    OK. I've decided I'll go ahead and use the stock pup's for a few gigs to see what's up.
    I checked this comparison on P-Bass pups:
    http://ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=46137
    Except for a few of the wilder ones (DiMarzio and SD 1/4 pounders) I think I can get a decent sound with my EQ and compressor.
    The link above is still cool, though.

7. Gringo Starr

Gringo Starr

Apr 21, 2012
    NWI
    I've wondered myself about the actual specs of an MIM pu and how it compares on paper to an MIA or other manufacturers pickups. I know I can hear a difference. When I got my MIM P bass a few years ago, I ended up changing out the pickup. The stock pu didn't sound too bad, but I could tell a difference in tone between that bass and my other Dimarzio equipped p-bass. Even the guys in my band commented on the tone of my MIM and didn't care for it. I put in a Duncan Quarter Pounder and it made a huge difference. Guys in my band liked the pu change as well.

So I'll agree with what Diablous said, the stock pu is OK but I prefer an upgrade.

8. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Gringo, not too crazy about the Dimarzio. It's a little too wild for me. I like the Duncan QP, though.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I love the SPB-3, but I like a mid heavy tone, they cut through the mix awesome though, never get nothing but compliments on my MIM Fender with QP's

The SPB-1's are great, very good vintage tone, they even have cloth wires (!) I really like them.

I have a set of SPB-2's but I haven't come across any well priced MIM P-basses lately so I haven't put them into anything.

I looked at the DiMarzios but ended up going with EMG selects on a different project, so I cannot vouch one way or the other for DiMarzios. They looked pretty cool though.

10. Gringo Starr

Gringo Starr

Apr 21, 2012
    NWI
    Yeah those Dimarzios may not be for everyone. I have an old one (20+ years old) in my main bass and it sounds great to me.

But you know how it goes when you think that "I'll put this pu in this bass and it will sound great". You put it in and - meh. The great thing about MIM Fenders is that they are a cheap and solid foundation to experiment with. And you just might find that magic pickup that turns it into a gem.

11. Gringo Starr

Gringo Starr

Apr 21, 2012
    NWI
    I like a mid heavy tone too. I'm getting ready to put a QP in my Highway 1 pbass I just bought. I was thinking I'd have to buy some 500k pots for it, then - blammo! - I looked in my parts bin and I had a set! Score!! :D

12. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I'm replacing BOTH volume and tone in mine with 500K CTS's. I never use the tone control anyway, and 500k effectively takes it out of circuit.
    I should get more balls out of the pickup with 500K as volume, too.

13. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Probably. Loosen the screws and lift one half of the pickup out and look at thew back. If it has plastic bobbins, and/or ceramic magnets glued on the bottom, then it's one of the cheap pickups.

But that doesn't mean they sound bad. Some of them sound pretty good