1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stock Strings on Epiphone Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by WhiteNinja, Jan 22, 2012.

1. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

Jan 20, 2011
    Anyone know what kind of strings are on an Epiphone Thunderbird by stock? I haven't changed them since I got them (just over 2 years now) and they are now better than ever, nice and thumpy. I think the gauges are 45-105, but I'm not sure.

They sound kinda dull, but in a good way. Bassy, smooth treble. I haven't used any flatwound strings yet, but they do sound close to what I think flatwound strings sound like (no experience, though).

So are the stock strings from a particular brand, or are they made by epiphone/gibson? One thing I'm sure of is they are neither GHS, Daddario or Fender, since the rings on the end are brass.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Some say the factory strings are generic ones, no real brand on them.

If you are going to go with a Flatwound you should look at the brighter flatwounds.

3. Nsih

Nsih

Jan 22, 2012
    Stock strings are round wounds. Don't go with flats. I tried them on my Epi thunderbird IV, and they sound muddy. I would recommend ground wounds. They Sound like warm rounds instead of dull rounds

4. Mark4

Mark4

Oct 21, 2007