1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stock strings on Fender Japan basses

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by toad, May 9, 2006.

1. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Anyone know what strings these basses come with?

I bought a 62RI while I was in Tokyo and once the initial crazy zinginess of the strings settled a bit, I realized this bass sounds beautiful. I have to find out if it's the strings and if it will make my other basses sing like this.

Thanks for any help.

2. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I believe they vary with model of bass. I have a Fender Marcus Miller which is made in Japan and the strings were very bright and mellowed very little over time. Once I restrung the bass with some DR's it sounded so much better.

3. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    DRs are my current choice too and I know what you mean about the FJ strings being very bright. I know if I hand this bass to most other bassists, it will probably be way too zingy for my tastes, but in my clubby hands it just sounds right (for now anyway :) ). Weird, right? but you can't argue with your own ears and fingers.

Just trying to figure out how much of my infatuation with this bass is the strings.