Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stock Strings on SX

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Minger, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, whoever posted their review of their SX under my original review of my SX, they said the stock strings on the SX are D’Addario Flatwounds.

Anybody know if thats true? Because I really liked the feel and sound of them, but I've never used nickel so I just thought they were nickels (used Stainless Steel before, can someone say brightness?)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They claim they are but i have yet to find daddario flats that seem to be the same. There are much better strings than the stock SX ones, try D'Addario Chromes.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Aw crap, I just did a price check...and well, stupid me - I forgot how much flatwounds cost in the first place.

Maybe I'll just buy the twin pack of the nickels for $20...o well, whatever I guess.

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    But flats never have to be replaced until you break 'em.

I mean, they come dead. :p

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Flats are expensive ish but yes, they sound better and better with age. I replaced a set once because the E string was faulty but normally they dont have to be replaced.

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Eh?

well that kinda changes things a bit I guess.

Time to steal back my old stock strings that I gave to my friend's sister cuz the ones on her bass were cut too short so there wasnt enough downard pressure so it buzzed like nuts. Swap it for my old strings on my Ibanez...or something.

Or webstrings restock already...