Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stolen (?) Alembic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Mar 17, 2002.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I recently sold my 1974 Alembic Series I to a friend overseas. I shipped it and the rackmount power supply in two separate boxes. The rackmount arrived about a week ago. The bass has not surfaced yet. US Postal Service "can't track" it until it's missing 30 days past ship date.:mad: It is possible (IMHO) that the bass never left Detroit, so if anyone comes across a small body Alembic Series I, serial number 74-84 stamped (barely visible) in the top edge of the headstock, please contact me.

email malthumb@aol.com or page me at (800) 538-1913

I'll attach pix of the body, front and back.

Peace,
    James

[​IMG]

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ouch. Hope things work out!

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, man. that sucks. keep us posted on how it goes.

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Here's the back

[​IMG]

This really rots, because Ron Wickersham and the folks at Alembic spent a lot of time upgrading the electronics on this one. I really hesitated to sell it, but it wasn't getting played much, so...

Peace,

James

5. What country did you ship it to? It might be still waiting in Customs or stolen at the country of destination.

Did you insure it?

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Just my $ 0.02 experience...

Once I shipped goods from France to the USA (state of NY) with FedEx. The delivery deadline was 5 days. It finally took almost 60 days for delivery, just because of misunderstanding and other paperwork matters at the customs.

Just one advice : when you ship something pricey, either carrier you choose, ALWAYS insure the object for its maximum value.

Hopefully things will soon get in order for you,

All the best,

7. There must be some kind of special punishment for instrument and bicycle thiefs.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Intrument thieves should be forced to get married.

"...Garth, marrige is punishment for shoplifting in some countries."

Sorry. Just watched it...

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    In the picture,what is that little hole right where the neck and body connect?

10. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    on the back part? thats where the strap goes buddy.

11. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    jeez....i would never ship anything like that overseas. thas just crazy...

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    That's where you access the truss rod. In the early Alembics (this one was #84) there was no cover put on. Later ones do have a cover.

Peace,

James Martin

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    This shipment was insured. Though not at what I'd consider the full value. The buyer specifically requested a certain level of insurance, primarily to help ease it through customs. Unfortunately that means he is at risk for the difference between his purchase price & insured value.

Peace,

James Martin

14. that really sucks, hopefully the bass will arrive...keep us posted!

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    By the way, if at any time any of you come across a "too good to be true" deal on an Alembic, you'll save yourself and maybe the rightful owner a lot of grief if you check

http://www.alembic.com/info/stolen.html

before you buy. They keep it very well up to date.

Peace,

James Martin