Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stolen bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by c-ba55, Jun 19, 2004.

1. I had my bass stolen out of my car just now in San Francisco. I don't have a serial #, but if anybody sees any used Christopher DB 403Ts for sale in San Francisco or thereabouts, let me know.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....God, that sucks. Best of luck to you, c.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Contact all the Music stores, violin shops AND pawn shops..... Place an ad on the board of the local Musicians Union (afm)as well.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm in SF too. I'll keep an eye out. You might try looking at Craigslist now and then to see if someone's trying to sell it there.

Where was this at (what area)?

5. I'll keep an eye out for any bass-shaped CD cabinets :(

6. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Speaking of insurance, what kind you got Maestro? Links? I know it's cheap but I got other stuff in my apt. that needs protectin' along with my Busetto. Thanks.

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Hey c-ba55--that's terrible--I'll keep my eye out for your bass in the Davis/Sac area.

hdiddy--I've been insured through www.musicproinsurance.com for a few years now. Their coverage is reasonably priced and pretty comprehensive. While I've thankfully never had to make a claim, they have been pretty helpful in addressing the needs of my ever-changing gear situation.

8. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Since I'm too lazy to wait for a quote, how much are you paying monthly? Also, how does this compare with, say, renter's insurance?

Thanks.

9. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    It is $1/ per 100 per year with a $100 deductible per claim. It renews in June. I have $18k worth of coverage, so it costs me $180 per year.

Renter's or hoomeowners will NOT generally cover your instrument on a gig.

Monte

10. Greg Olwell

Greg Olwell Managing Editor, Bass Player Magazine

I'm really sorry to hear about your bass, C.

I had my Englehardt EM-1 stolen in the Mission (on my way to a gig) about a year and a half ago and found out a few things a little too late: Namely that the police didn't really have any interest in helping and that my insurance didn't cover any of it. Rats. I spent a few weeks visiting pawn shops, used instrument stores, and flea markets around the Bay Area and couldn't find it. I haven't given up and I'm still looking for my bass to show up sometime, but at least I had an excuse to upgrade to a (much) nicer bass, a Christopher DB303.

I promise to keep my eyes peeled for your bass too.

Best wishes,
    Greg

11. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry to hear about your bass too Greg. SFPD sucks. Last I read only 50% of the crimes get solved. Under Willie Brown, they didn't care about solving them, they just want to prevent them. So if you're a victim, you're SOL. I was given a healthy dose of paranoia when I first started playing percussion in SF...

ALWAYS keep an eye on your instrument(s) and TRUST NO ONE! Even today, I still get nervous when a friend wants to try my instruments in my very own living room. All you need is a small 'accident', drop that behemoth and wham there goes some $$$.

And if you don't already, you better hide anything that sits in the back seat of the car and is visible. I've had a friend that had her car broken into several times in one week and lost about 3-4 different purses/handbag. Places like Western Addition and the Mission are especially bad.

12. I talked to the SFPD, pawn shops, and music stores today. SFPD basically told me not to hold my breath, and the cop said he'd never heard of a stolen bass before. The pawn shops pointed out how they had to tell the SFPD about everything they buy, and that they get about one bass every 10 years. Presumably, thieves know pawn shops have to tell the SFPD everything they buy, and won't sell something as rare as this there. So, they suggested I look at flea markets, and ebay and craigslist. The music stores emphasized what a small community it was, and how it basically couldn't be sold here without me knowing about it, if I kept my eyes open, and alerted everyone I could think of. (Which this is part of) The guy that sold it to me, Bruce Sexauer, said he's the only dealer of Christopher 403s in the area, and he's sold 3, so there just can't be too many. Also, he signed the bridge.
    Also, the music store told me about one thief in particular that hangs around the symphony looking for instruments, and furthermore that all other thieves know this one thief that can potentially move these rare things. So he's the one to talk to. I gave his description to the police, but they again didn't look like they were going to run out and find the guy, even though this is felony grand theft. I'm thinking I should hire some private muscle to shake the guy down.

No insurance. When I asked about renter's insurance a couple years ago, I specifically asked about instruments, they said they don't cover those. I don't own anything else valuable.

The guy ahead of me in line at the police station was filing a claim about somebody breaking into his car too. They stole like a $75 jacket, and he somehow took about a half hour to get through his story.

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It's locking the barn door, but -

With your NEXT bass, get your luthier to put a label with your name, address, etc. somewhere inside the bass so that the
    only way you can see it is to get a mirror up there.

IF THIS BASS WAS NOT BROUGHT TO YOU BY ______________ , IT HAS BEEN STOLEN, CONTACT etc

up by t e neck block, or on the rib near the top of the bass. At some point in time, somewhere, SOMEBODy is gonna have to take it to a luthier for a repair.

14. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Music Pro quoted me $2/ per $100 w/$100 deductible. And, as Monte notes, they cover "anywhere in the world, at any time".

15. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    :bawl: Terrible news man. do you have other basses or was that your only one?

Hope you can get it back soon!
    Travis

EDIT: Checks profile... :rolleyes: At least you're not entirely bass deprived, but that is a big loss. Good luck to you. :(

16. That's way under ISB. They used to be close. Why didn't you tell me that before I renewed? Some friend. Geez.