Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stolen Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Steve Killingsworth, Feb 13, 2005.

1. I would appreciate anyone in within a couple of hundred miles of west Tennessee keeping an eye out for a blonde Kay that was stolen from a friend of mine last week. I am not sure of the serial number but I will try to find out and post it.

That bass is in very good condition, has a maple top (I'm not sure if this was standard or not), a golf ball glued to the tip of the endpin, and a set of Obligato strings. The neck also has been repaired. I will also pass on any other identifying marks as soon as I can.

If anyone sees or hears about a bass matching this description, please let me know.

2. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    how was it stolen?

3. Someone broke into his house. They took the bass and his new mandolin.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Any other identifying marks will help me keep an eye out for it during festivals, Steve. I see a bunch of these things during the Spring-Summer-Fall festival season in the Southeast.

5. A couple of additional items. It is a 1951 model (I don't have the serial number). The neck repair was done with a screw and there is a 1" plug in the fingerboard above the heel. The plug is very noticeable.

Here is a description of his mandolin:

Sullivan F-5 mandolin, no. 12 in series, name on headstock is
    "Lori," eagle inlay, Sullivan label inside.

6. Bunmmer about the stolen instruments.

Is that a Sullivan mandolin from the maker in Portland, OR? If so it's worth quite a bit more than the bass, I'd guess.

He should post a note about it on mandolincafe.com. They have a lost/stolen section of the classifieds there.

Z