Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stolen Basses

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Sep 3, 2004.

1. All my basses have been stolen. I came into my house to see that the cushions on the couch were all thrown about. I figured I'd check the basses first thing and sure enough, they're all gone. Four basses, two of which were worth a lot. I can think of one person who could be responsible for this. I guess I'm going to call the cops about it in the morning, but I doubt they will even try to help. I do have cerial numbers, or at least one.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You need numbers or very good descriptions of them all to get them back, if they even find them.

pictures would help.

Good luck.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eek:

:(

Thats really bad...

maybe they dont know what it is and try to sell it to the first local pawnshop or guitarshop they know of... so give them copies of their serial #s with descriptions, etc, and tell them you are willing to buy it back...
    Good luck with it

4. Do you have to buy your own stuff back if you have proof it was yours in the first place?

:meh:

Bad luck dude, can't say I sympathise (never had anything stolen) but I can imagine it's terrible. All the basses, too.

How do you suspect you know who did it?

At least you have numbers. You have a chance.

:(

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Sometimes they dont know the value and sell it back for peanuts. Also less hassle for them, and for you: you get it back way faster than if the police steps in.

6. If you find out who stole the basses go break both their legs and arms.....that's what I'd do to someone if they stole one of my basses.

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Agree with that one... but are you sure you know who it was?

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Dude, That's why it's also important to fill out your profile. Where do you live and what kind of basses are they? We have bassist from all over the world here and we can be instrumental in the return of your equipment. But all we know is you lost 4 basses!
    If someone has 4 basses it will be harder to get rid of all 4 and harder to justify the 4 new instuments.

9. Lets see, just to give yous guys an idea how crappy this made my night, the basses were; a Modulus Genesis 5 (blue), a fretless quantum 4 (red) a fender deluxe jazz bass(whiteish), and an acoustic electric made by a company called Michael Kelley, which was 5str and an orange type color.

I called most local music stores and told them to be on the lookout. I called the cops and filed a report, I also gave them written descriptions of all the basses, and unfortunately the only one I had a cerial number for was the genesis.

I figure at least one of the thieves was a kid who lives two houses down from me. He broke into my house once about a year ago. This kid is well known for stealing stuff from people. I know it was him the first time cuz his aunt (my next door neighbor) said she saw him + some other kid snoopin' around. She gave me a description of a car which they had been in. I found a guy who u sed to be friends w/ the kid, who said it probably was him, and after I described the car to that guy, he told me the name of the guy who owned the car, where he lives etc., and shure enough such a car was at said house. That time I didn't call the cops at first because all that was stolen was illegal stuff (a jarome baker limited edition (bong) and some "heady" bubblers etc.), but one of my buddies saw the kid riding his bike up and down the street while I was off doing detective work. He approached the kid and said, "why did you break into my friend's hous?" and the kid replied, "i was at the river all day<" which might as well have been an admission of guilt since no one had told him what day my house was broken into. Then my friend smashedd him in the face w/ a walking stick and the kid hauled ass. (This story gets better) So the next day me+my buddies headed over to the kids house w/ baseball bats and a megaphone (for effect). We were still in the street when the guy's drunk ass dad hollered some incoherent crap and SHOT A 22 AT ME AND MY FRIENDS. They were maybe ten feet from me and I heard it whizz right between us. So then I called the cops on the guy. Now you would think it would be pretty obvious to the cops who the bad guy was in this situation (regardless of the baseball bats) considering that a crazy drunk redneck had just shot at three people who weren't even on his property, two of them were minors at the time. But strangely enough the cops were threatening to take me and my buddies to jail, and in fact when I asked ever-so politely if I could step inside to get a glass of water, one of them said that if I came out with anything he would shoot me (I had been shot at already that day, so this fueled an intense hatred toward the fellow). So in the end they took the violent criminal to jail, BUT ONLY FOR ONE NIGHT. Oh, and the guy had the cops deliver a message to me, which was, "next time I won't be aimin' for the bushes."

So I told the cops I figure it was this kid. Earlier today I was driving through his yard, making a bunch of noise, and then this neon that this kid and his buddies painted w/ house paint (talk about fast and the furious, eh?) pulled up, so I drove back and forth waving a tire iron at the kid. He drove off to a store, I followed him there. He just sat in the car for a while, wouldn't get out.

Oh yeah, and the aunt happened to mention to me once that the maniac who shot at me and my friends (her brother) also owns illegally modified firearms, so last night I called the ATF and reported him, which should make the world a somewhat safer place.

Having the cops in my house was strange. I changed out of my grateful dead shirt and cleaned up when they were on the way. When they walked into my room, one of them asked my if they had stolen any "special dope pipes" from me. I said there was nothing like that to steal(a lie, they stole one pipe and my stash). Then he said that people like to brag to them about special dope pipes, and that they wouldn't have cared, but I don't trust the cops that much.

Oh, they stole my multi-effects unit as well.

Oh yeah, and I live in Louisiana, about an hour north of NO. If you guys could be any help at all in finding the basses, or the multieffex, or the pipe, or my stash, I would be eternally grateful and I could even throw in some $$.

I will be renting this house out soon (I'm a homeowner) and moving to the city. I will be needing to begin the search for a new (used), not too expensive but good sounding 5er, but I don't know if I should bother buying another bass until then.

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    wow dude..
    that really sucks..
    sorry man

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    medic8ed,

You do some stupid crap, man. Tracking people down with baseball bats and whatnot could easily get you killed and it sounds like it almost did. The more I read it the more it just sounds like a couple of dope fiends stealing from each other and having a gang war.

brad cook

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    This is something I'm actually familiar with. In Nebraska if someone sells me a stolen guitar and the person who really owned it wants it back, they have to pay me what I payed for it. I can not make a profit on it. It sucks for the person who had it stolen, but it would suck more if the music store/pawn shop had to eat the money they put into it.

As a used/vintage guitar store owner, I will go out of my way to bust people who steal instruments. It really gets under my skin. The best advice I can give to people is to:

-Write down serial numbers. In the case of something like a warmoth bass, I put little 'home made' serial numbers like 0001 on a piece of paper and glued it into the control cavity. Usually under the battery. Seems like a good idea to put it somewhere where the average theif isn't going to look.
    -Take pictures
    -Make notes of little things like dings that could help identify your instrument later on.

13. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    +1. This reads more like an episode of COPS than a real life story.

14. I didn't steal anything. The thing w/ the baseball bats was a little crazy, but let me ask you this . Have you ever owned a house? My houe is my house, and the thought of people breaking in to it makes me want to killkillkillkilll.

Stupid yes, but in the past. Who hasn't done really stupid stuff in the past? Perhaps you, Brad, but not me. I've done irrational things before, and I will probably do so again. Revenge becomes important. People are animals.

EDIT: I certainly should have tried to be more covert about it last time.

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eek:

Nice neighbours you have there... :eyebrow:
    I think I can understand the reason why you are moving...
    If it happened to me, I would've beaten the kid the first tim he broke into my house... like break an arm, a leg or something... yes, i'm brutal, but this is the scorpio-mentality: I didnt do any bad to you, so why did you have to do it to me? Now you will learn forever not to mess with me! :ninja:

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, I own a house. I also have some semblance of self-control.

Maybe it's the bragging about the stash and bongs or something but you just come out of the whole incident sounding like an immature redneck. Your friends are blasting people in the grill with a walking stick?! You and your gang approaching someone's house with baseball bats and a megaphone?! What the hell?! If your gang doesn't have a name yet maybe you could call them the Baseball Furies. "Warr-iorrrrrs....come out and plaaaaa-aaaaay." If you don't get that reference then don't worry, it's a movie.

brad cook

17. Yeah, I don't like movies.

Do I seem like a redneck because I'm overly protective of my property? How does "bragging" as you put it, about illegal stuff being stolen make me seem like an immature redneck? That's just craziness. I have lived in the country my whole life, maybe that's why I seem like a redneck. Smoking dope might generally be viewed as a thing for highschool/college age types, but I am college age.

All that stuff aside, I can see how the whole baseball bats and megaphone thing seems imature, but that was at least a year ago, so quit living in the past.

:spit:

18. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Hit the nail on the head. I wonder why the cops were treating him like a criminal? Hmmmm...

Wow. Good reference. For all the youngin's the movie was called "The Warriors." Gangs that ride around on roller skates rule!

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You're right, I'm sorry. You've obviously matured quite a bit over the past year.

brad cook

20. You forgot the sarcasm

By the way, my chicken strips are burned and it's all your fault. This should be a chat room.