Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stolen basses?...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Sep 8, 2002.

1. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Anyone got any stories of when their pride and joy has been stolen. If so how did you deal/cope with it?

Ive never had anything stolen myself. Apart from a tuner by some disgruntled practice room owner. I got em back by blowing up a marshall guitar stack with my bass ;)

then leaving very fast...very fast.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    not yet...

but im extra careful when carrying around the town (on car only)...

I would feel VERY bad if anything got stolen... also Police is not that great around here :/

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

98' Stingray, Ibeenhad SR800, Ampeg svt 3, Ampeg 4-10, rack tuner, thirty or so cd's.

Those were all taken out of a locked car inside a locked garage.

Yeah it sucks!!! But insurance saved my butt except for the cd's.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm going to steal this off over to miscellaneous, since it is music related. unless you're talking about baseball.

5. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    we are talking of the baseball, arent we fellas......*nudge*.....

;)

6. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    blow up guitar stacks! wooooooooooooooooo :p :D

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    First one: I left my sixties J-Bass at my drummer's house while I went out of town. Came back to an empty case and a very apologetic drummer. I was bummed, but his parent's homeowner's policy covered it.

Second one: I had a Music Man Sabre, a Peavey 115 TNT and a no-name 50 watt head with an equally cheesy matching speaker stored in my garage. Some IDIOT broke into my garage and took the cheesy amp and speaker. Left the Peavey and the Music Man (I said he was an idiot). By the way, the Music Man was only a few months old. It was a replacement for the Jazz in story #1.

Third one: Played the Peavey and the Music Man at a gig at my college a couple weeks after the garage incident. We locked all our instruments in the school's closet overnight. I had just picked up some battery operated headphones (this was the 80's...they were a new thing) so I took the Music Man home to play it through the headphones. Next day, gig time...the closet had been broken into and everything was gone. Glad I took my Music Man home with me.

After that I've been infinitely more careful with my stuff.

Peace,

James

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Like mal, I've three tales also...

1. First gig ever with a band in '79, (we played for an old beat up Shure SM-57), my much abused Kawai was stolen as we were packing up afterwards... One minute it was leaning out by the van, the next it wasn't...

2. Summer of '82 the same band played the Whiskey-A-Go-Go... On the way home, one of the guitarists and I were driving the equipment van containing everything but the drums. We were passed by a couple of gals that we had previously seen at the club... they motioned for us to pull over and while we were out of the van talking to them, someone drove off in the van. The police said that there had been several instances of this exact same scam recently. We felt like idiots when we couldn't give them the gals' license plate number... I lost a P-Bass with an old, left hand J-Bass neck on it, which was my pride and joy at the time, my Sunn Concert Lead, (yeah, a guitar amp, but a great bass amp too!), and Sunn 2X15 cabinet. I felt really bad for the guitar player... He lost a very nice Guild Les Paul, and a Dean Flying V... This was back when Dean was very much the high-end gear...

3. Had my '78 Fender Musicmaster, (very modified... fretless conversion, stripped body and neck, no-name pickup), swiped from my apartment in '84... When I came home, something seemed weird. It took me about an hour to notice that my stand was empty. I quit playing bass for 8 years after this one... :(

-robert

9. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    ::Chris Farley Voice ON::

SHUT UP!!!!!!!!

::Chris Farley Voice OFF::

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Glad to hear you came back :) i dunno if i would after that bad luck.