Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stolen Brubaker

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by Brad Johnson, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Probably should've posted this sooner. This bass was on loan to Maurice Fitzgerald, a bassist whose work includes Fred Hammond and Destiny's Child, while he was having a custom Brubaker built. It's one of my personal basses and he's now had it for over a year and a half. At this point he refuses to return my property and I consider it stolen. He may no longer have it, it may have changed hands by now, it's my personal bass and whoever has it at this point is in possession of stolen property.

It's teal blue flamed Maple, birdseye maple fretboard. Ash body.

Any info regarding it's whereabouts would be greatly appreciated. Maurice is a common thief and I'd like for him not to get away with this.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Hey Brad,

So sorry to hear that a bass bro has taken this path. That bass sure is a beauty, and if it plays anything like the basses you brought to Bassapalooza on Sat afternoon ... whooa!

If I see anything on this I'll definitely drop a note your way.

All the best,

R

3. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I appreciate that. I probably should've posted this as stolen as soon as it became obvious that's what Maurice was doing. It's almost unbelievable that someone in his position would be this lacking in character. I'm guessing he just "plays" gospel.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Here's a close-up of the body:

[​IMG]

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Have you still not contacted the police? You know specifically who has it and you have people (including Kevin himself) who would back you up if there was a dispute over if it was stolen or not.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I was still working to resolve this prior to doing that. I was just contacted by someone who was recently in contact with Maurice (Maurice won't return my calls). That prompted me to put pics out in the meantime in case anyone comes across it. Next week, after things settle down here, if I don't have this resolved I'm contacting the Chicago police. department.

7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    That's just plain crummy. Thought about posting something on Fred Hammond's message board?

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Yes, I did think about that. That board doesn't seem to be Fred's from what I can tell. Posting that Maurice stole my bass might be considered harassment. Fred's website has no way to contact him.

I just left Maurice a voice message... I'm going to proceed with criminal charges after the holiday. I hope they throw his sorry butt under the jail. He deserves whatever happens to him.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ugh. What a ****** situation. Even if you get the bass back *and* his sorry a$$ is thrown in jail... that won't undo the aggravation you've been dealing with. At the very least, I hope you get the bass back.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    True. The funny thing is that I've been past aggravated for a while now. He's not worth it.

I've found out this isn't the first time he's pulled this crap. I'd like to make this one memorable.

11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    This sucks. I just went thru this with a band I just quit. The A-hole guitarist refused to return my PSM-400 in-ear monitor unit which was stored in the PA rack. The guy kept refusing to give me back my stuff, and threatened me repeatedly. I finally decided enough was enough, and filed a theft report with the P.D. While not as expensive as your Brubaker, it was still considered GRAND THEFT!!! The Sergeant at the PD was not amused by this guy's antics and made a rather demonstrative call to the knucklehead, and I had my stuff back within 8 hours. People like these are the lowest form of life and an utter disgrace. I hope you get your bass back, and this guy gets what he deserves..

Slug

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Wow Brad, I remember hearing about this from you a while back. You have been waaaaay too patient! I would have had his ass thrown into jail a long time ago. I say don't waste another minute. Guess on the horn with his local PD TODAY! Keep us posted!

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Just got an email from a friend of mine...

http://www.lowdownsound.com/newthisweek.htm

I'll be calling them as soon as they open. It'll be interesting to see if Maurice is the one selling it or he sold a bass he didn't own to someone else. Either way this should be more than enough rope to hang himself.

14. Quadzilla

Wow, keep us posted Brad!!!!

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's messed up right there- I hope LDS knows enough to keep it there and not contact the seller after you contact them.

16. Quadzilla

Are they open yet Brad? Any news?

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    So far the ending to this is just as bizarre as the rest. Lowdown Sound is working to get the bass back to me. As usually they have been extremely cool to deal with.

It seems that after I left a message (unanswered as usual) with Maurice early last week telling him I was pressing charges, he immediately traded my bass to a friend of his and got him stuck in the middle of his BS. The friend put the bass on consignment and got blindsided by Maurice. Seems way too familiar.

More later.

18. Quadzilla

Great news!

19. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    all i have to say is WOW but thank goodness your getting your bass back

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Unbelievable. I was driving past there today and thought about stopping in, but chose not to. Now I wish I had. I'll go by in the next day or so and "chat" with them about it, unless you'd rather I didn't. PM me the serial number and I can confirm for you that it's yours. I'm guessing that's just a formality.

FWIW, Burk spends a lot of time there. Maybe he can help you out on this one :bag: :bag: :bag:

Peace,

James

Just saw your last post. Glad to see it's heading back to you. The guys at LDS are top notch. Good thing they're not Alembic distributors. I have kids to feed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.