Stolen fenders = 50$

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Suckbird, May 4, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    So me and a friend was discussing basses/guitars and suddenly he asked me if i wanted to buy fender american for 50$, i said straightly no.
    What the hell would you do if you know someone knows someone who sell stolen basses? Report it to the police? I mean, they could steal my bass so i can understand how angry the people they stole them from is.
    One of them is an american fender from a local group.

Steal basses for over 2000$(swe) and then repaint them and sell them for 50$..

****ing morons they deserve to ?/(&/&/&&/% yeah something..

2. OK. So I may be a little weird here but I feel like your instrument reflects and retains the energy you put into it. So I also believe stealing an instrument is horrible for more than just the stealing part. A person I knew took an acoustic guitar from a pawn shop and brought it over to the place I was staying at. I just happened to know where it come from. I waited until the next day when this guy had passed out at his house from a little party we threw and I took the guitar back and explained what happened to the owner. I don't like calling the police on people unless there is no choice. I liked this option better.
  3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think you may want to reconsider who the "friends" really are! One day you guys are jamming at your house, next thing you know, you're giving them a beatdown for selling your bass for the price of a video game. Yikes.

4. Straight up! I actually gave a guitar to a guy I knew because he needed one so bad. It felt good to do it, but if I caught anyone stealing from me.... it would get ugly with a quickness!
  5. QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I could see that idea turning sour if the person suspected you of being in on the act....bass turns up missing, guy claims to have bought it off the thief for $50 and now wants to return it out of the goodness of his heart and only wants his $50 back. Even if you did do it, most people would think you were only trying to scam them for $50.

Just an opinon. However, I would still report the theft to the athorities.
  6. Buying or receiving something that you know or should know is stolen is against the law. In Florida, you would be charged with DSP (Dealing in Stolen Property), which is a felony. Not much of a bargain.
  7. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I see the intent in SMASH's suggestion and the reality of QU!CK's and angelopb's replies.

If I knew very well (acquaintance or "friend") who was doing the theivery/selling, I also would buy the guitar from them and also would attempt to get it back to the rightful owner if I already knew whose it was. I would tell them the circumstances of how I got the guitar, but I would tell them that I bought it knowing who the real owner was and that the $50 need not be repaid to me...that I was just doing a good deed. If they were cool people, they would give you your money plus probably more. If they start suspecting you of stealing and look at you sideways, then I would say "hey, I don't want the money" and say "best of luck". All good sumaritans can be suspected of having evil agendas because there is no reasoning for being a good sumaritan other than to do something good.

I'm no Donald Gates Rockafeller, but I know why I have money. To do cool stuff with it. And a good deed...correction: DAMN GOOD DEED is worth every penny of it and certainly is cool.

Well, at least it's worth more than fifty $0.99 tacos. :D

And who knows, you might get your money back. But if you don't, I personally don't do good things to demand something directly/proportionately something in return. I just do it because it feels good. That $50 would probably be one of the best $50 you ever spent in your life, allowing someone to have their valuable stuff back.
  8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    It's a police matter, for sure. Might sound tough, but if it was your stuff, what would you want to happen?
  9. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    My opinion would be to not buy the bass. As good as the intentions are it rewards the thief and encourages him to do it again making you responsible in some way for the next guy who gets ripped off.
  10. You couldnt give me this "friends" number could you ?

11. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Hangin's too good fer 'im! Burnin's too good fer 'im!! He should be cut into little pieces, and buried alive!!!!!

Seriously, as a victim of bass theft I'd have done, and still would do, anything to get my bass back, even though it's been years. I'd be more than happy to shovel a bucket of cash at anyone who delivered my bass to me, even if they didn't ask for it. And then I'd try to get info that would allow me to call the police up and deliver the thieving slime unto their tender ministrations. And I STILL might keep an eye out for their release date from jail...:mad:
  12. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    True. Unless of course the action is also kind of a HINT HINT, I KNOW WHO STOLE YOUR STUFF SO YOU CAN TURN THEM IN WITHOUT ACTUALLY ME BEING THE ONE TO TURN THEM IN *wink wink*.

I also agree that for things not to get too messy, just leave it to the po-leece.

Just sucks to have a "friend" put you in that position. Where now you have to do something about it and all this other junk. What a crappy friend. Kind of reminds me of that "my friend is a shoplifter" thread a while back. Just shows you how selfish doing that kind of stuff really is.

13. Just try to leave most of the torso in one piece if you wanna bury them alive, and cortalise the open wounds from the limbs, mwahahahaha . . .

ahh, good times
  14. I reiterate that Sweden sounds like a lawless and violent place where rebel warlords rule the streets. I suggest you move.
  15. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, to Southern California where it's MUUUUCH different haha...

16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Personally, I would recommend that he return it. As a religious person, I believe any theft is bad (frankly, that's just a moral issue) no matter why. If you need it bad enough, ask and ye shall recieve. If he opts not to return it, remind him of the consequences of not only breaking the law, but breaking morality itself. If you know who the owner is, tell the owner, it's his bag of chips after that. If you don't, inform the cops. It's your civic duty.
  17. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    this is why as soon as i buy an instrument, I smear my doodoo all over it....... :D

naw. :D
  18. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    buy it for 50 then make a hard effort to find the original owner. Im sure theyll gladly pay the $50 finders fee. If not and you have it for a while its a $50 bass. Thast what i would do, that way no one gets hurt and the owner is just happy to have it back. I know id pay $50 if my stingray or warwick got stolen to have it back.
  19. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    On that note, it's just like the theif stealing $50 cash from the original owner and you help it happen.
  20. There's nothing cool, funny, or admirable about stealing someone's instrument...I'm on probation b/c a "friend" of my younger brother's broke into a house and stole a guitar, and we were involved in the sale of it. It's selfish, idiotic, and extremely heartless.

On that note...don't get yourself involved in it in any way, such as buying it and giving it to the guy, asking for a finders fee or not, you'll get yourself in more trouble than you want to be in just from your good intentions...and don't think it won't happen, b/c it will. If you know who the original owner is, tell them. Don't try and bring it to them, b/c that's still receiving stolen merchandise, and it's a Class C Felony in the state of MO, which is up to 7 years in prison or $2500 fine or both. It's nothing to risk messing around with. Trust me...