Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stolen Gear...Please Read

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Feb 23, 2003.

1. hi everyone, my '88 P.O.S. toyota camry was stolen this morning between 3:00 am and 9:00 am from Pacific BEach in San DIego. inside it was my head and my cab. i know this is a longshot, but if anyone, any shop, any dealer in San Diego is asked to buy this gear, please contact me right away. this has crippled my playing career and my insurance did not cover it. here's the specs

HEAD: Newer, (2001 +) Ampeg B4R in soft 3 spc. rack case. not sure which brand of soft case however. no power cord or anything, just head in the case. there was some chinese art in the zipper pocket if that helps.

CAB: Avatar B410 cab. black carpeted 4x10 cab with a center mounted horn and a small tear in the carpeting on one side. 2 1/4" jacks, 4 rear ports and removable casters.

i do not have serial numbers because i do not own the computer which had that information anymore. if there are any decent souls out there please contact me, anonymous ok, i just want my gear back. and because of my work situation i am in no position to afford new gear (or a car for that matter).

thanks for your time.
    858-735-4407 or fukingus@hotmail.com

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Of course you already know this, but PB is a bad place to be leaving crud in your car. That said, it'd be worth checking the pawn shops and dealers that do used gear, but your car and stuff may already be in Mexico.

Check Jeff's Guitars on Convoy, Valley Music in El Cajon, Freedom Guitar on EC Blvd., Moonlight Music in Encinitas, Moze at their new address, and any of the others around town who deal in used gear. All of these are reputable dealers, but who knows. I frequent these places, so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    We need a stolen gear forum here.

Im gonna post a link to this thread in a thread I started regarding creating a stolen gear forum.

Peace
    Nick

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I'll stick this baby so she gets maximum view-time ;)

good luck finding your gear man..

5. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hope you find it man, ive made pretty sure no one can steal my gear.

bump

Lukas

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That really does suck man. I live in a lousy part of town (pawn shops on every corner) and I don;t think I'll ever leave my gear in the car for more than a few minutes.

7. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    And you can promise this how?:confused:

9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It makes me think about how a few years ago, my guitarist at the time had all his gear in his car and crashed into a lamp post in an empty parking lot. While he was talking to authorities, somebody sneaked over to his car and stole 2 guitars, and amp, effects, and about 100 CDs. It definitely was not his day....:(

Good luck gustomatic, I hope you find your gear!

10. Well i dunno....think of it as an opportunity rather than a pitfall? Lot's of new gear to try!
    Sorry tho'....icky feeling losing personal items. Glad you didn't lose something like a fav instrument or something. Amps and cabs can be replaced.....losing a bass that I was really connected to would just kill me.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Good luck. I will keep my eyes open for the B4 around the LA area, although without serial numbers a used Ampeg amp in Los Angeles is going to be pretty much impossible to identify.

Talk to the people you bought this stuff from and see if someone, somewhere has your serial numbers. It's going to make a big difference in your chances.

12. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    no one knows where i live and even less know that i play an instrument and there are instruments and equiptment at my house.

also i have home and contents insurance :D

Lukas

13. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    sorry for the loss...:(

best of luck gettin it back....I'd be crushed if anything of mine was stolen, simply because that is how I feel if anything really is taken from me.

luckily, I don't live in a bad part of town, or a bad state for that matter, and I don't think I would be caught uninsured either.

14. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Bummer...and speaking of closing the barn door after the horse got out...

Everyone should have musical instrument insurance!!!! It is now affordable (I pay $165 a year for $25,000 worth of gear), and two reputable companies I know of are Clarion Musical Instrument Insurance and MusicPro Insurance. Don't have links, but do the Google thang. Be sure to investigate discounts for membership in various organizations, ASCAP, IAJE, AFM, etc.

I have Clarion, and my gear is covered for loss or theft from anywhere at any time for full replacement value . You don't want to be filing a claim on your homeowner's insurance for your musical gear, unless of course you want to be either dropped or your rates doubled after they pay the claim.

Caveat: I have never made a claim (knocking on own skull in lieu of wood), so have no experience in how they are at actually paying on a claim...anyone?

You'll have to provide copies of receipts and serial numbers for your gear, but you already have that info...don't you? :eek:

15. Bump

I'm sorry to hear this, I surely hope you will be able to find your gear or at least some of it back.

16. Something else about insurance. If you have a huge collection of gear or play out and it doesn't pay your bills, be sure and itemize your gear as a hobby and if you have replacement value homeowner's insurance, it will be covered so long as you don't derive any income from your gear, which is the situation of most bands. Be VERY sure you don't list "musician" as even a part-time profession unless you're making decent money.

If you do derive appreciable income from playing, then use the afore-mentioned musician's insurance. I also have an alarm system, LOTS of guns, and NEVER leave gear in my vehicle. Most theft is a crime of opportunity. Remove the opportunity.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'll add this: always keep records of your serial numbers. It's difficult to claim ownership of anything recovered, or to prove that it's stolen merchandise in the first place, if you don't have a serial number.

If you get your gear insured, the insurance company will probably also want the serial numbers, either in advance or if you ever make a claim.

18. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    sry man. I'm pretty new to this stuff and youre on the other side of the country so I realy cant help you. But I would tell you to start saving again and pray that you find your shiznatti. Again. I am really sorry

19. i do have the serial numbers for the ampeg B4-R
    #BLMO020009

The avatar cab has no serial numbers. thanks for all of you who replied and to my buddy drew for loaning me gear to get by this past week. also, mad kudos to Dave at Avatar Speakers. he called me about this and offered to give me a discount when i'm ready to order a new cab. i had already decided i was gonna get another Avatar, and this helped make up my mind.. again, thanks to all for keepin your eyes open. and to all theives, you know where you can go. rock on... :bassist: