STOLEN KAY ACOUSTIC BASS & AMPS

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by bassdude93003, Oct 7, 2008.

1. bassdude93003

bassdude93003 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Southern California
    Dear Friends & Musicians,

Today (10/6) sometime between 2:00-5:30 p.m. my acoustic bass and 2 amplifier rigs were stolen from the stage of the Free Methodist Church, 1435 Cliff Dr., Santa Barbara, California. The main sanctuary doors are always unlocked during business hours, and we speculate that someone must have seen me bring the equipment in this a.m. (I normally don’t bring my own rig from home) and waited their chance for when the church was quiet. It would have taken 2 trips to get all this stuff (or 2 people) and someone knew how to release Neutrik twist-lock cables from their sockets to grab the stuff quickly. I filed a police report as soon as I discovered the theft, but I would appreciate you all forwarding this to as many people as you can think of who can be on the look out (pawn shops/ebay/Craig’s List/music stores/etc.) to see if I can recover the much valued tools of my trade (especially the bass, as it has great sentimental value as well) Here are the descriptions:

KAY M1 3/4 SIZE DOUBLE BASS: circa 1950’s, tan finish (probably was blonder in early years) rather worn-esp. on body by fingerboard where thumb & fingers follow through. It has some unique modifications: the original brass tuning keys mounted on matching plates (Tyrollean style) have been replaced by individual nickel plated tuners mounted on custom cut wood veneer plates that don’t match the rest of the wood either in color or grain. Also, the back and belly have had their edges sanded down & refinished to be level with the binding around the body EXCEPT in the 'C' curves of the bouts where the edges still protrude past the binding. I had mounted an Underwood pickup and a Countryman Isomax condenser mic in the bridge. Both a 1/4” and XLR connector are lashed to the tailpiece with black elastic hair ties. I also had a bow quiver mounted uniquely to the tailpiece, but these things would be easy to remove. The tuning keys and sanded edges you couldn’t hide. One more thing: I had made an endpin out of a thick dowel rod painted black that was nonadjustable. It has a standard silver hose clamp around the top to keep it from cracking.

GLASSER FIBERGLASS BOW: French style, 45+ years old, chocolate brown paint, well worn (present from my dad)

BLACK NYLON BASS BAG: chrome hardware, bow pocket on front, zippered utility pouch on lower front, double ‘D’ rings on back to adjust straps. One unique feature: I had bolted a 3” round rubber foot to the bottom to protect the zipper from wear.

ACOUSTIC IMAGE BASS AMP: Clarus II model-2 inputs (1/4” & XLR) These units are not available in most mainstream music stores-dual level, about the size of a cigar box, with a handle on top level and controls on lower. The thief didn’t take the padded bag that goes with it.

AMPEG 110H SPKR. CAB: black ‘fuzzy’ covering, about 16” cubical with a slightly rounded-up face. 10” woofer & 2” tweeter inside. Grayish metal grille plate with the Ampeg logo on front, variable tweeter control dial on back.

CARVIN AG100D GT./KEYBD. AMP: 12” woofer & 2” horn. 3 channels w/ 5 band graphic EQ. These units are most distinctive for their forest green vinyl covering.

It's late and I'm tired-I probably forgot some details, but I wanted to get this out ASAP. I haven’t had time to dig around my records for serial numbers. When I find them, I’ll send them on.

I would appreciate this list going as far and wide as possible, as I realize my stuff could already be in LA, SF, San Diego or Timbuktu by now. So if you could take a minute to think of who might be a good “relay person” and send it on, I’d be grateful. Those of you who have special instruments know that it feels less like theft and more like kidnapping when you have one taken!

Thanks & Blessings To You,
    Kim Collins
    805-965-2352
    [email protected]

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Sad news, especially the sentimental value of some of your gear.

Hope you get it back and I'll make copies of the list and keep and eye out.

3. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    but the gear is still missing...from craigslist:

Update on Kim Collins' stolen bass (Santa Barbara)
    Reply to: [email protected] [?]
    Date: 2008-10-28, 11:42AM PDT

Here's the latest message from Kim:

Dear Friends & Musicians,

I’m thrilled to say I have my old Kay bass back at home! On Sunday afternoon an honest man from Oxnard who buys classic instruments called to say that he was sure he had my bass. He runs an ongoing ad in the Ventura Star offering to buy old instruments, and was called by a guy who had “some old banjos & an upright bass”. Long story short, after obtaining my bass he was told about my stolen equipment ad on craigslist, and was able to tell from the description that the bass must be mine. I verified from the emailed pix that it was, and picked it up today!

I’m so grateful that the word was spread so well and quickly by all of you so that he could hear of it, and that he was so conscientious and thorough to contact me right away. Hallelujah! It gives me more hope that my amps may still be recovered (another $1500 worth of gear) now that the SB Police have some leads to go on. I still appreciate you all being on the lookout for the amps just in case Santa Barbara’s Finest have higher priorities than sending a SWAT team out to look for my gear (hard to believe, I know) I’ll resend the description below in case you need it.

Please send this on to the wonderful folks you first notified; I’m most grateful to the many people I’ve never met who willingly espoused my cause (many of whom took the time to email me their sympathy and support)

Excelsior!

Kim

STILL MISSING:

ACOUSTIC IMAGE BASS AMP (ser. # either 4C0077, 4C0078 or 4C0079): Clarus II model-2 inputs (1/4” & XLR) These units are not available in most mainstream music stores, bi-level, and are about the size of a cigar box, with a handle on top level and the controls on the lower. The thief didn’t take the padded bag that goes with it.

AMPEG 110H SPKR. CAB (ser. # BTND040134): black ‘fuzzy’ covering, about 16” cubical with a slightly rounded-up face. 10” woofer & 2” tweeter inside. Grayish metal grille plate with the Ampeg logo on front, variable tweeter control dial on back.

CARVIN AG100D GT./KEYBD. AMP (ser. #OC45903) : 12” woofer & 2” horn. 3 channels w/ 5 band graphic EQ. These units are most distinctive for their forest green vinyl covering.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021