Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stolen ken smith bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zoxbassist, Apr 7, 2004.

1. zoxbassist

zoxbassist

Dec 13, 2003
    Providence, RI
    This is quite the sob story:

this evening, I park my vehicle in downtown Providence, RI and go see a concert. Upon returning to my vehicle, I see that my window is smashed and my 1988 Ken Smith 5-string was stolen. Needless to say, I'm in a panic. My band leaves for tour tomorrow (we're always away, so I can't even scour the city for the perpetrators!) I'm flat broke (we make just enough money to live on, and none more!) so i don't know what to do. I have a few questions that hopefully some of you could help me on:

1. Have any of you had a bass stolen and been able to receive insurance $$ for it?

2. Is anyone selling a Ken Smith bass, or know where I could find a used one for around $1500?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lesson learned: do not let this happen to you! I even covered the bass with a blanket. Always keep your bass on you at all costs! never leave it in the car!

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    WOW, I'm really sorry to hear that.

I hope everything works out for you.

Good luck zoxbassist.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That blows man im so sorry. Cant help with the Ken smith deal, dont know anything about em. Good luck though. You dont have any oother basses?

4. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    thats a a sad story indeed :bawl:
    but it could've been even worse - if your car was stolen too...
    Why did you keep your bass in the car, anyway?

here, people usually deal with these problems by going to the shops and ask them to put papers around that you want to buy it back - but i'm afraid it wont work in so little time :(

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    1) Get me a full description and the serial # if you have it. I'll keep an eye out for it. Give me you full contact information as well just incase it pops up. I could be in a week, a year or maybe 10 !

2) NEVER leave a Bass in your car. It's the most common place for theft. Just ask the Police or your Insurance company.

3) Make a Police report and give me a copy of it. If the Bass comes in for repair, I can hold it if I have 'proof' that it is stolen. Otherwise I have to let it go.

Check the Pawn Shops and Music Stores in your area. Sometimes they go to sell it quick for cash.

Good luck....Ken.....

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

thats a good GOOD bit of advice :)

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Im really sorry dude that really sucks for you

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your story is particularly relevant to me because I always keep gear in my car. I have two bands and I'm constantly driving between rehearsals, work/school, girlfriends place, etc. and end up just leaving my bass in my backseat. Guess I'll have to suck it up and lug it with me everywhere I go.

10. Well, first off, it's a good idea to have your windows tinted. If not, and you have to leave your gear in the car, definitely keep it covered. But most importantly: always put up a windshield sunshade, day or night. It prevents light from coming into your car, making it harder to figure out what's in it. In my Jeep with tinted windows, at night with the sunshade up, it was impossible to see inside.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    there are also blackout kits, too. Some states have laws against it on vehicles of a certain age, but if not, do that and a sunshade, and you're good to go. If you have a truck with a topper, you can black it out all the way around, and keep stuff there. I never leave stuff more than an hour or so.

BTW, I am really sorry to hear about the bass being stolen. I have left mine at a friends house once, and was freaking out because I couldn't play. I can't imagine it being completely gone. Good luck!

12. really sorry to hear about this!

hope your still able to tour and if ya got time do everything everyone has suggested! :)

gluck man

13. :(

Really narks me when things like this happen :(...

My GTR had his "77 Fender Telecaster Custom Stolen from out Student digs, he ran it by the police and did get his insurance money and bought a Gibo SG Custom....

Sadly these things often dont pop up anywhere close by cause ppl know that they will be checkin every shop etc etc..they usually get sold at local cities etc etc

hope it all works out for you..!!!

I always take my GB everywhere and never leave it in the van....to precious to me...!!!...

14. I would say that if you HAVE to store your gear in your car, put it in the trunk. If you don't have a car with a trunk, make sure you get one!

a Ken Smith Bass is pretty valuable, if I had to go somewhere I'd just put it in a gig bag and tote it around with me, at least I'd know where it is all the time.

15. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    ken is right.

i once bought a status emphathy 5 for under US700 from a used store. little did i know it was stolen.

after i was thru with it did i run into a guy who said that he lost his status emphaty which matched the description of the bass i owned. he bought it back for around US1200. bummer.
    but gd thing he had insurance.