Stolen Tabs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dawgawd, Sep 8, 2001.

1. dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    there is this horrible tab site called MxTabs to which I regularly submit my tabs. Recently I noticed that the "top rated tabber" on that site was stealing my tabs and reposting them as his own work. This offends me because I put a lot of work into writing these down. It would be okay to see them posted on a site with no credit given to anyone, but to see somebody else so easily take credit for something I did is rather frusterating.

I know the typical argument would be "did you write the song? no, so how can you say it's 'your' tab?" but you know what, I don't care, the point is that I put a lot of work into those things and this guy is taking credit for it. I've emailed the guy in question and he was a complete jerk about it. I emailed the site admin and have yet to get a response. Does anybody know of anything I can do about this?

<a href=""></a>

I am user "dawgawd" and he is user "chasehead"

the tabs in question are

Less Than Jake - Black Coffee
    Sublime - April 29 1992
    Weezer - Across The Sea
    Weezer - The Good Life
  2. That dick. Some people have no respect. I'd post your tabs elsewhere.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I totally understand.
  4. dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    good news, i got a response from the admin and he said he'd do something about it. but like, listen to the crap this guy emailed me when i emailed him to complain about him stealing my tabs...

first reply:

my name is jason and im a dufus. dawg ha ha i remember talking like that in the third grade. the whole point of tabs is to let kids play their favorite bands music only weinies complain about it being "my tab"wah wah wah

second reply:

still whining?i have tabbed alot,i write my own songs and have sold 1500 demos and have record companys buzzing so i dont care much about half wits like you.

It's obvious that I'm dealing with a high level of maturity here :rolleyes: and I hope he doesn't think I believe that thing about the record companies. I mean, it's possible, but I know for a fact this kid is only 16 and it seems highly unlikely.

But yeah, that punk is gonna be put in his place, and for the most part I try to post my tabs to wherever wants them. It doesn't bother me if somebody puts my tabs on a page and gives me no credit, but when somebody jacks my work and says they did it, that is another story.
  5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    In fact, this other person is infringing your copyright - what he is doing is illegal, and in Australia would be a federal offence. If it's not a big deal, just stop posting your tabs there. If it is, you can sue him for breach of copyright.
  6. dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    well, knowing my rights, I wrote to the site and broght this to the attention of the guy who runs it, and he said that he would take them down. So for the moment, all is fine. I'll give him a few days to do this, and if they aren't off by then I will do something further, but it looks like I've solved my problem for the moment.
  7. babybassist

Apr 18, 2001
    Kent, England
    I know this is incredibly immature and silly but if he's still getting on your nerves you could e-mail him a killer virus, or steal all his tabs....or send me round to his house to sort him out! I'm a black belt in karate!!!! Ha ha if you believe that you'll believe ne thin. Sorry just trying to lighten the mood. :p