STOLEN - Warwick Streamer Stage I - Reward

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian Barrett, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    4 weeks ago I sold a warwick streamer stage I (blue, see pic) serial # 2081-98 to a guy in Australia who paid by credit card. I checked out everything with the credit card company and they didn't see any flags so I went through with the sale. 2 weeks later I get a call from an irate man from louisiana about charging his card for $1500 and that he has contacted the police on me, etc, etc. Finally got him calmed down to explain with both had been had, well actually just me that his money would come back to him.

So if anyone has contact's or lives in Australia that could go and pickup my instrument. I will be happy to pay them US $200 for their time and cover then shipping of the bass back to me.

I know he still has it becuase of this e-mail this morning from him.

heres all the info I have on him. I don't think this is his real name, but he did sign with it when UPS delivered the bass!

e-mail :
    name : John Klampis
    street : menur 12
    city : sepanjang-Surabaya
    State : JATIM
    zip code : 60286
    PHONE : 08165426721

Link to pictures and a discription

2. Sorry to hear that...Herm can tell you about his problems with Indonesians and credit card scams.
  3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder
    yea Indonesians tried to get me about 6 months ago, but I caught it. Unfortunitly I didn't know Australia had followed the same path.
  4. So far as I know, there's no Surabaya in Oz.
  5. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    I've had some issues purchasing equipment in Singapore from the US because of the regional bad rep generated by the credit card scams in Indonesia.

As a result, I'm only able to deal with Bass Alone, Bass Central and Bass Exchange as I am a repeat customer with them.

Here's a suggestion. The post offices in South East Asian countries are able to make out an International Bank Draft, which is essentially a cashier's check. Its accepted at most large US banks (i.e. BofA, Wells Fargo etc). Don't take the credit card route as there's very little you can verify on line, and it'll be a good few weeks before the irate victim gets the bill.
  6. Mmmm, I don't know how the bass could ever reach the guy with the address you given us.

First of all the city is incorrect, the city is Surabaya, which is in East Java in Indonesia, not Australia, Indonesia and Australia are different countries, and Sepanjang Surabaya means "along Surabaya"(I think this is a joke)
    The phone number that you got is not a house number but a cell number, all Indonesian cellular number starts with "8", whether is 818, 816 etc.

Conclusion, your bass did not go to Australia, but instead to Surabaya, Indonesia, he put Australia just to throw you off. So if your bass is indeed in Surabaya, Indonesia, good luck finding it, cos you can kill somebody or steal a safe from a bank in Indonesia and nobody can track you, much less a bass like yours.

I'm sorry to say that recovering your bass is probably nil, cos I have lived in this side of the country, and probably the guy is not in surabaya anymore.
  7. I'm just wondering, why is it Indonesia specifically that seems to be a problem? Is it just what modulusbassist said, and that it seems to be total chaos law-enforcement-wise over there? Even then, there are loads of nations just like that.

8. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    The address that the bass was sent too is exist,
    Sepanjang is the name of a place in Surabaya. but not in Australia , but it is in Indonesia. The name is a fake name. To get back your bass almost impossible, especially with US 200, the shipping to US will cost US 250. You can so called buy back from the syndicate but if your bass value is not significant , just forget it, not worth it.
    Next time be careful!

Please ask Roger Sadowsky to share his experience , how he got back the 2 basses from Indonesia, and how he learn his lesson, so you will learn a little bit about INdonesian.
  9. <font face=courier>I can't offer any help except my sympathy, that <b>sucks</b>! I have always been afraid of some sort of internet scam when I bought my bass (from MF, at that!) and ADA (from classifieds).

I hope you get your bass back.</font>
  10. Brian sorry to hear you got burned on this deal.
    I bought my 6 string warwick from you last september. You handled my transaction perfectly.
    You are a first class businessman , and I recomend you to everyone I know.

Brian J.
  11. Brian, I'm very sorry to hear about the stolen bass. I hope you get it back. I decided to keep the Ken Smiths and have them installed in my 97 jazz. Sorry I didn't get back with you on that decision.

Hope you get that bass back Brian, some way or another.
  12. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Hi Brian,

Very sorry to hear about this. I just wanted to confirm what's been said above, that the above address is definately not an Australian address. For one thing, Aussie postcodes are 4 numerals, not 5.

I've noticed a huge trend amongst sellers on the various classifieds/auctions sites saying "no sales to Indonesia", and sadly your situation once again illustrates why this is the case.

13. ok, the area code doesn't exist, to many numbers.
    phone number doesn't exist, to many numbers.
    state doesn't exist.
    city doesn't exist.
    street doesn't exist.
    and I'd say chances of you retrieving that bass soon don't exist.
    but if it were anywhere near me I would certainly go and collect it for, especially if I could plug it in fer a few minutes! aww yea!
  14. I'd be saying sampai bertemu ****en lagi to that bass, so sorry man! I'd go and kick the **** out of that dude's 'kepala' if I found him! **** indonesians.
    selemat siang....

(I did indonesian at school, god I hate it)
  15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder
    Thanks to everyone for helping clarify what ended up happening to the warwick. I've now got UPS tracing it. Unfortunitly, I screwed my self by tring to help him out and insuring it for less!!!

I knew about Indonesia, but Not Australia which is where I was sending it. I'm blaming UPS now, becuase Australia is where I wanted it to go and they Now think they delivered it to Indonesia. Unfortunitly this is where I screwed myself becuase of insurance. I was lowering to help the purchaser which we all know was a ploy to not pay taxes, but when it was going to Australia, I didn't see it that way.

Thanks agian to everyone. And hey, I will be happy to work something out as far as $ for anyone who wants to get it for me. I'm just not about to pay this **s hole!
  16. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Man, Im sorry to hear that. Great looking bass!
  17. Modulusbassist, just out of curiosity, what nationality are you? I tied to tell from your picture but really couldn't.

And a question: When you say Chinese Indonesians, you mean people of Chinese descent living in Indonesia? And the pribumi are the native buisnessmen?

Sorry if i seem dumb, Im from a very homogeneous area (99% of my high school was white) and unfortuantely wasn't exposed to different races of people. Funny Example: I didn't know the last name "Cohen" was Jewish till I got to college!!!! Fortuantely now, I am in a very diverse university, and truly loving that aspect. Being friends and associating with people of all different backgrounds is a great thing, and I didn't have many opportunities to do it in high school.

I'm done now. LOL.
  18. Brett, I think this guy might be working for Union 76 in Surabaya, by looking at his email address it says Unocal, isn't Union 76 unocal too? You might check with them.
  19. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I am very sorry to hear you got scammed and ripped off. That is terrible but the sad truth is you can't trust many people out there. I am just wondering how did this fool plan this whole scam? I mean with the credit card # and all.

I hope someway you can get your bass back but the chances of that are extreamly slim (I'm sorry). Its something you have to bite the bullet on....BUT at least "modulusbassist" is playin P.I. for you!!! Maybe he can crack the case and track your fugitive for you! Maybe just maybe you'll find this scam artist. Terrible.

Good luck and I feel ur pain (my Kubicki was stolen in 1995 :mad: )
  20. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    where did u meet this scammer? on TB????