'stomach flu' - allan's PSA of the week...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by allan grossman, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Norovirus.

This is the 'stomach flu' that's going around. Of course it's not really the flu as the flu is a respiratory infection caused by an influenza virus, but I digress.

This thing is really nasty. Some of you have had it already - my MIL and the spousal unit have had it but my FIL and I were spared. Here's some information that might keep you from getting sick -

Read the thing - you'll find it fascinating. But - if you don't have the attention span:

1. Apparently the 'stomach flu' is spread through contact with vomit or stool of an infected person. Wash your hands. A lot. As a matter of fact, go wash them now. Keep your fingers out of your mouth.

2. You're contagious for 3 days after the symptoms pass. Go wash your hands again, dammit. Don't prepare food for 3 days after you get better.

3. There's nothing a doctor can do for you but you can see one if you want to. OTC antiemetics and antidiarrheals and lotsa fluids will make you feel better. Drink lotsa water so you don't get dehydrated.

4. This too shall pass.

This ends my public service announcement for today. We now return you to your regularly scheduled bass forum, already in progress.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    day late and a dollar short :meh:

I was knocked down with this Sunday, Monday and Tuesday last week.
  3. Big deal. Do you know what causes my belly button to collect lint? Huhn? Do ya?

Rock on
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    My GF hates that.....she is scarred of the lint! :D
  5. My Wifey had that BAD last week. Me? A couple trouser coughs and I was good to go. ;)
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I got this nastiness TWICE recently, once in November, once in early January. The first time, I would have been thrilled if someone just shot me. I lived on Gatorade, Immodium, and saltines for 3 days. Thankfully, the 2nd time it was gone in a few hours.

I'm always very cautious about cleanliness, but since my job requires me to eat out for lunch a good deal, I'm at the mercy of others at times.

If you work in a restaurant, and have an illness, STAY THE $!^% HOME. Please.
  7. Washing hands is a good idea.

Especially after touching anything having to do with urine or feces. Wash your hands after going to the bathroom, shut off the faucet with a paper towel, open the door with a paper towel.

It doesn't take much, just wash your hands.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I agree. Kinda sad how people can do alot to prevent this just by taking care of themselves. Washing your hands is so simple, but I can't figure out why people don't do it.

9. Totally agree. I'm a quasi-germaphobe, so it's must for me...either washing or that waterless gel cleanser.
  10. I don't *care* what causes your belly button to collect lint, Eric.

11. demento

Mar 5, 2003
    Adrian, MI
    I have yet to get the both-ender this year...

although while doing a 4 day sound gig in lansing after christmas I got a really bad respitory problem going, but I was thankful to not be on the toilet, everytime I get the stomach flu i'm usually wishing for death
  12. That's because you'd probably rather die than be caught on the seat of a public toilet in a bar.

If you're a germaphobe like Mon and me.

13. w00t I have this too! :rolleyes: <-- That's what I look like now, only less sarcastic.
  14. Hey now, my GF might take exception to that.

Rock on
  15. demento

Mar 5, 2003
    Adrian, MI
    With all the germs coming out of my body I could care less where I am :D
  16. Didn't someone start a thread about this recently...?