Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stomp Box Compression ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NJXT, Jan 29, 2001.

1. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I plan to buy a compressor, preferably stomp box (does it exist, btw ?).
    Any advices ?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Boss CS2 CS3 LM2 LM3B

MXR Dynacomp

EBS make one dont know name

Carl Martin make one dont know name

Dod Milkbox

Try putting some or all in a search engine http://www.google.com is good and have a look happy or try http://www.musictoyz.com then check your local shops.

Happy hunting.

3. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I have the tech 21 bass compactor, and I am really happy with it. But... it gets noisy if you turn the compression really high to get a squashed bass tone. Luckily, I only like light compression and love the use of the high and low eq knobs. You can also use it just for the volume, or the high/low eq knobs and turn the compression off. I really am happy with it and leave it on most of the time for my sound.

cameron dye

4. does compression make a big difference in your tone?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm seeking compression right now too. I bought a Tech 21 Compactor, hated it (too noisy) and took it back the next day. Don't get me wrong, I love my SansAmp BDDI and Acoustic DI. I'm thinking about the Boss Bass Limiter/Enhancer, but I'm not sure if it does exactly what I want it to do. Also, I wonder if the other Boss compressors are OK for bass, or if they're just intended for guitar. So now I'm thinking about the EBS. I asked my pals over at GC if they had one, and my hyper-knowledgeable salesperson said, "I've never heard of one."

6. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I tried this one. It didn't appeared to me as a compressor.
    In facts, I didn't quite understood the use/interest of it.
    At least, I'm sure it's not what I called a compressor (as there is on some preamp) ... but perhaps I don't know what a compressor is ;)