Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stomp box or Mutli-effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Aug 27, 2001.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Hi! everyone, I'm considering to buy a effect pocessor for my sound. I need overdrive, chours and some bright sound for slapping and tapping. But I don't know what kind of effect that I should buy. I'm still a student, so I can't afford to buy so much stomp boxes , and I think the functions of stomp box is not flexible, but its sound greater than mutli-effect. but for mutli-effect, I can perset more than one effect in one patch. because some time I need the chours sound onlyand sometime I need the overdrive with little chours. it is trouble that I set again when I stomp boxes during gig. so any suggestion of it?! Thanks for your help!

2. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    Welcome to talkbass! I read your profile and I understand that your on a student budget. So heres my 2 cents. I would be the stomp boxes 1 at a time if need be. The cheap multi units out there are CHEAP for a reason. The effects in them are largerly limited. The distortions are stale sounding, and your modulation or chorus and flange effects are not as deep sounding. There are however some okay multi effects units from boss and digitech. Some people like the zoom pedals. Buy those things used from classifieds, the resale value from the new price will kill your bank account. If you really want these effects for a lifetime then buy the super nice stuff now. Do not upgrade later, you will save yourself hundreds of dollars.

By the way, why, as a student are you buying effects?

3. Get a few stomp boxes and chain em' up Bro, Actully What ever sounds good to you The effects I own aren't exactly Stomps but I prefer single effects.

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I rarely use effects when playing live, but I do like to experiment at home when practicing, so I bought a cheap multi-effects (Korg AX1B=about $110 new). The distortions are indeed horrible, but the chorus and flange are pretty good. The envelope filters are OK, but rather bland, and the reverbs are not bad. If I used effects a lot in concert, I would definitely go for better quality, but for $100, my unit is just fine.

5. The bypass sucks allot on that thing too, I hated mine and sold it a while back.