Stomp box tuners - loud gigs!

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Jay Corwin, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Do any of you guys use a stomp box style tuner with upright that works great? I have a Boss TU-2 that I use to mute, but I typically have a clip-on tuner on my bridge I use to do the actual tuning.

On occasion I run into issues in clubs where either the house sound is vibrating through my bass, or the other guitars and such are doing much the same. It renders my clip on useless. However the TU-2 doesn't seem responsive enough to do a good job with DB.

What are you guys using?

2. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I don't play URB, but, Peterson and Sonic Research make the best tuners I've ever used. They are both strobe, if that makes a difference.

james condino likes this.
  3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Try using the boss after your preamp. Sometimes a little extra volume into it helps

Jeremy Darrow and sevenyearsdown like this.
  4. neddyrow

neddyrow @TeddyPlaysBass - Instagram Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    have you tried clipping the tuner to the pegbox?

when i am in the same situation, i can only get the D and G when its on the bridge. if i put the snark on the E and A side of the pegbox, it can read all strings.

sevenyearsdown and Lofreck like this.
  5. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    No I haven't. I will.

6. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    This makes all the difference. Give it enough signal and it will be fine.

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    I've used both with the DB and both work well. So do the TC Electronics stompboxes and the clip-on (for my money the best clip-on available). My preference is the Sonic Research because of the slightly smaller footprint and the fact it's built like a tank.

james condino likes this.
  8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Snark makes an SN10 stop box tuner that's cheap and easy to read on the floor. Large letters.

9. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    I like my korg pitchblack. Seems to work like it oughta.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  10. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Here's my conundrum:

I have a Boss TU-3 pedal tuner and a TC Polytune clip-on tuner. If I use them at the same time, they don't agree. I get different indications. Which one is right?

11. Hubtone

Hubtone

Dec 20, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have been using a TU-3 for a few years for upright. Never an issue.

12. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i think the tc is just showing finer increments than the boss... i have both too. the tc is supposed to be very accurate, and its like zooming in on the boss needle, if that makes any sense...the boss will give you a nice average, which i appreciate sometimes, whereas the tc will show the fluctuations in pitch at the amplitude of the string changes

13. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The accuracy specs on the TC Clip is .05 cent. The TC-3 is 1.o cent accuracy.

14. Also check if the A tuning frequency is the same on both tuners. Usually the tuning reference A frequency is adjustable, but the default or selected one might differ from one to the other.

15. I use a Peterson Stomp Classic with DB. It's great. Tough, bright, accurate, can also use it as a DI. Batteries die fast though so I only use it with a power supply. I also have a TC Electronics Polytune 2 - usually for my guitars. I have occasionally used it with DB and also works great.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021