1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

stomp boxes without an effects loop?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hunter34, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Hunter34

Hunter34

Nov 30, 2017
    I'm in the process of choosing a new amp. I'm particularly interested in the Genzler 350 Combo, but I notice it doesn't have an effects loop.

Does that preclude the use of stomp boxes?

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Just put them between the bass and the amp's input like normal people do ;). The only thing I've ever used an FX loop for is to plug a different preamp into the amp's output section - bypassing the amp's preamp/EQ.

armybass, Veldar, Teijo K. and 12 others like this.
  3. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    Most effects work well through the front of an amp. Quite a few even sound better that way.

HolmeBass, jumbodbassman and Korladis like this.
  4. Effects into the FX loop is far less common for bass than it is guitar. Should be completely fine just putting them between the bass and amp.

HolmeBass and Aqualung60 like this.
  5. Hunter34

Hunter34

Nov 30, 2017
    Thanks! I’ve never used them, but would like to incorporate them at some time. Great info to know!

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass @Hunter34 !!!!!

Shoot over to the Effects sub-forum here. Those guys are incredibly helpful. Of course, you will get some goofball answers to your questions as well (maybe even from me). But that crowd has been really helpful to me recently. At 46 and playing bass for over 30 years I recently got into pedals. And they have really been good at pointing me in the right direction. I now have all the components to put together a sweet starter board. Now I just need a couple of uninterrupted hours during the holidays with two young kids to wire it all up. :D

7. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I haven't used an on-amp FX loop much ever, and when I did it didn't really seem that different from just traditional in-line. Now, i'm not that effects intensive, I use a pre for tone shaping and a compressor for a little extra girth and sustain.

FWIW content to follow:

I do have a cool fx loop "trick" that I do when rare need arises. If an octaver (for example) comes into the picture, I have one of these:
    Zoom MS-60B MultiStomp Bass Pedal
    and put together a patch that fits the bill, then put it in a loop with one of these, which is actually a loop pedal.
    Mosquite Blender Expressio
    and use it in conjunction with a little roller pedal that I have:
    Wholly Roller Volume/Expression
    It's a nice compact little setup that lets me add in the effect, but also blend back in some of my original unaltered bass signal. It makes the tone sound less processed but you still get the effect of the effect...

8. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    My amp has a loop, and I don't think I've ever used it except to experiment with.

No, I take that back. Every once in a while, I use the "send" to send a line level signal (because that's how my send works) to a backline combo's return or power amp in.

For that, it's a nice to have feature, but a pretty rare use case.

9. Effects loop on an amp is designed for effects running at Line Level.

Most stomp boxes operate at Instrument Level and are designed to be used at the front of the amp.

10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    There was a time when I would have said the same thing, but it's since been brought to my attention that there are a number of amps where the FX loop is actually instrument level. As it turns out, all FX loops aren't the same, you just have to familiarize yourself with the amp in question.

11. I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything.

Can anyone provide examples of amps with instrument level effects loop? I'd like to check them out.

blindrabbit likes this.
  12. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'll tell you what, I've been doing a quick search myself since posting that and haven't been able to find any - I do recall being told that at some point, but I could have either been misinformed or mistaken. If I find anything along those lines I'll report back.

monsterthompson likes this.
  13. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Here, I found a thread discussing it. Oh, and I'm a participant... looks like I might have gotten the idea from this guy, whoever he is. ;)

And:

monsterthompson and HolmeBass like this.
  14. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Most "stomp box" type effects are meant to go into the input of the amp, not the effects loop.

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Same here

16. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    The main benefit of an effects loop for most players is the ability to put effects after distortion/overdrive that is coming from the amp itself, most commonly in the case of a tube amp. That is also one reason why they are more popular among guitarists. For a bassist using a solid state amp, the lack of an effects loops is probably rarely going to be an issue unless you have effects that specifically should be run at line level.

Korladis likes this.
  17. This is the correct answer.

Don’t use the loop (if there is one) for pedals.

The only time I use my loop is if I want to bypass my amp’s preamp altogether and just use it as a dedicated power amp.

NOVAX likes this.
  18. And there you have it. Problem solved.

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Right. I was trying to practice last night and it was just me and my 8 year old. Every 30 seconds theres a new question or observation or suggestion (he suggests songs that the band should do and they aren't bad) or hug. It's sweet but sometimes I just want 30 minutes of uninterrupted time. Oh well, that'll happen soon enough.

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Can't win from what I hear. When they are home, you would give anything for a few minute to yourself every day. When they move out, you would give anything for a few minutes with them every day. :D