STOMP by the Brothers Johnson - with walk-through of the Bass Solo

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by OkiAkuma, Mar 3, 2021.

Were you able to pick up the solo?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2021.
  1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. Still Trying

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OkiAkuma

OkiAkuma

Mar 3, 2021
    Located on YouTube:

Spin Doctor and Reedt2000 like this.
  2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Each player's slap technique tends to be somewhat idiosyncratic. I greatly enjoyed and admired Luis Johnson's playing, but I never studied or really put any serious effort into trying to break down what he does on the solo and copy it note for note. Pretty sure I could work up the rest of the song without too much trouble though.

I have probably patterned my slap style more after Victor Wooten...but I can't duplicate a lot of the crazy stuff he plays either.

3. Nice Bro. Great slap etude on a classic song.

4. OkiAkuma

OkiAkuma

Mar 3, 2021
    Thank you for the feedback – I agree on the esoteric nature of most musician’s styles and techniques. And I would say that if patterning your style after anyone Victor Wooten is among the best role models (as a musician and as a person in general).

Wasnex likes this.
  5. OkiAkuma

OkiAkuma

Mar 3, 2021
    Spin Doctor - Thank you for the positive feedback. I've recently uploaded a complete cover of Lopsy Lu by Stanley Clarke, with a slowed down walk through of the opening harmonics to YouTube. Here is the Link (enjoy):

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021