stomp or multi?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MrDizzyStick, Feb 2, 2005.

1. MrDizzyStick

Jan 25, 2005
    Ya i know. This question is probably broughten up all the time so sorry. So my question is stomp or multi fx? I know stomp boxes sound better(as long there is an effects loop) but multi fx have more to them. I have heard that many multi fx'x synth. just suck ass, but are much user friendly while at a show. I like to make nosie and have a few fx going at one time, but stomping 3 boxes at the same time can be a little tricky. Is there any specific multi Fx's I should look into? Also do volume pedals work for all amps with effects, or our some amps unable to use them?
  2. Best choice of tone = stomp boxes

Best for live = either, maybe stomps have the upper hand

Best for convenience= multi f/x

Depends upon where and how you intend using your effects and what effects you are looking for.

Good allround multi is the Boss ME50B i liked mine only sold it as i wanted less effects and a simple setup.

Beware that multi f/x also have built in pre amps and some can ruin your original amp tone.

Stomp boxes can also go front end of amp as well as f/x loop, multi f/x normally front end of amp.
  3. Here is a great tip for using a volume pedal something like the Boss or roland one.

Get the pedal that has the adjustable pot on the side to set the range of the pedal, stick this in the effects send and return and this way you can alter your volume without your gain or tone suffering.

We did this for years as guitarists with our Marshall stacks etc
  4. I can see your problem..
    I'm wondering about the same, too.

Rigth now, I'm in favor of stomp-boxes. But I'm also considering multi-fx.

I don't really know which one will be easiest live.
    *Multi-fx: It would be stupid if you have to play through a few effects to get to the effect you want. (by switching up and down in a bank)
    *Stompbox: More difficult to stomp more than one effect in short time. And a little tricky if you want two different effects from one box...

But I haven't experienced using effects live for bass. So maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway... people say it's cheaper to buy multi-fx. I'd like to add that if you need only a few (one, two or three) effects, buying single stompboxes (used) would be the cheapest... (if compared to a decent multi-fx... like boss GT-6B or something similar)

Good luck! I know how you feel!
  5. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I'm not sure what amp you use, but to overcome the problem of stepping on multiple pedals for combining stompbox sounds, some manufacturers' effect loops are footswitchable. In this case, you can step on any combination of pedals at your convenience while they are switched out of the signal chain, and use the amps footswitch to turn all of them on simultaneously. This has worked wonderfully for me for years. Also, it is nice to be able to remove pedals without true bypass from your signal chain while not in use.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I think stomp boxes are easier to use if your only using one effect at a time unless you do like bass-shy suggest. Otherwise, using my Nightbass multi-effects I can pre program up to like 8 effects at once and save the custom patch anywhere so I can access it easily live.

BTW, on playing live, if you already have your set list planned out the night before you can set your effects in sequence so all you have to do is arrow up to the next one instead of hunting all over the place. That right there is a huge factor in why I prefer my multi unit. I might be using chorus in 3 different songs but have each one adjusted differently. I can have it all programmed so I don't have to reach down and tweak a chorus pedal each time I change songs.

I don't no about the PODs or the V-amp but my Nightbass can be run front end or through an effects loop (which is how I run it).

On the pre-amp problem, well, its not a problem for me. I have no problem keeping my Trace tone at all.

I admit if only used one effect I would just use a stomp box.