Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stompbox a/b/ab mixer with di out?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Wilson, Feb 25, 2004.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK, here's the deal.

I recently got my midi setup, and so now have two signals to blend i.e. raw bass and midi.

I'd like to be able to switch between both live, preferably via footswitch, and ideally have a mix output as well i.e. A/B/AB. As both may have differing levels, I'd like to have gain control on both channels to get level parity. I'd then need an XLR out for FOH DI.

Closest I can find to this is the Radial BassBone, which from what I can see does everything apart from the AB blending. I can think of ways to fudge the blending, but it would be a kludge and not an ideal solution.

Any comments / suggestions / other ideas?

2. Try www.loooper.com he seems to be able to build just about anything looper/switcher-wise!

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Radial also has an AB box that you should check out.

Peace
    Nick

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, Dave Boggs is great. But he doesn't do anything that could help me out.

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Unfortunately it's one input to two outputs, not two inputs to one output. I think I'm going to have to hodgepodge something round the BassBone.

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Not sure about the radial AB, but the Whirlwind can function as either 2 in 1 out or 1 in 2 out. I bet the radial is the same.

The need to blend signal before the pre-amp is kinda a tuff one. Could you not use the level on your bass, as well as the level control on your sound module? Assuming this is what you are using. Maybey a mixer would solve the problem, although you may end up with a line level signal at the out put, not instrument.

After the A/B box hit a DI and you are set. Send a signal to FOH, and out to your rig.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I believe it can be used both ways. Shoot the guys at radial an e-mail.

Peace
    Nick

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    someone posted, then deleted, an idea of using a Boss LS-2

I should have thought of this, for two reasons:

1) I should have thought of this
    2) I already own a Boss LS-2. D'oh!

It would give me everything but the DI, and I guess I could hook my existing Sansamp/MXR DI units after the LS-2. Take XLR from there to FOH and standard out to my amp.