Stompbox Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mbart203, Sep 10, 2017.

1. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    Hey guys,
    I'm looking to add a stompbox compressor in order to tighten up my sound without sounding squished or weird.
    I'd love some advice on compressors some of you have used that are on the more affordable, $150 or less side.

Thanks.

2. A good place to start is a fellow members page here. bongomania is his username and he has a mountain of info related to compressors.Check it out!

mbart203 likes this.
  3. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

mbart203 and gfaulkner like this.
  4. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Diamond Compressor. At your price range you're buying used, but they're awesome. Subtle without that gated compressed sound...adds a little fatness and articulation to your tone.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    k.graz, mbart203 and kat888 like this.
  5. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    +10 Diamond

6. Dod 280 reissue. Simple, cheap and effective.

7. That Coyote

That Coyote

Apr 7, 2017
    I just recently got a Keeley Bassist and so far so good. It allows me to really dial in my drive and fuzz tones without nasty volume spikes. I'd recommend it if your running a lot of pedals. Really tightens things up.

8. I am a big fan of the MXR Bass Compressor, it's a 5 knob compressor but it's still simple to use. The gain reduction LEDs are awesome.

cemunk, Philly Watts and jam.majors like this.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  10. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    The keeley bassist, the MXR, or the Aguilar TLC are all good options if you want clean compression that doesn't color your tone much.

SteveC likes this.
  11. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I love my Aguilar TLC, but I've been eyeing the MXR M76 for the sweet LEDs. It's same as the bass version [M87], I just like the color more. I think you can score them used around your price.
    But seriously, start with Bongomania's Top Picks and go from there. There are so many reviews to read that if you try to punch through them all you're gonna lose a month of your life.
    But definitely invest some time in the FAQ section for some great information on getting the most from compression.

EDIT: added link for FAQ

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Find a used MXR Bass Compressor pedal.

13. Diamond or Empress

14. Philly Watts

Philly Watts

May 6, 2016
    +1 for MXR M87

Its awesome! I love how transparent it sounds (doesn't change your fundamental tone, just fattens, compresses, and limits real well).

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    electro-harmonix-black-finger-652955.jpg
    I use the "lamp" and "normal" settings. That funky black guard is actually covering two 12ax7 tubes. Just a great pedal. Fatens things up and tightens at the same time.

16. Pony up a little extra cash and get the Demeter Compulator. Simply the finest compressor pedal out there.

I went through a dozen or so different compressor pedals before I thankfully discovered Demeter.

Which ever pedal you try out, pay attention to the white noise it puts out as you increase the compression. It will drive you nuts after you've owned the pedal for a while. I tried a lot of pedals that had very cool compression, but were so noisy that they were useless.

Bassist30 likes this.
  17. EBS Multicomp is my favorite. Used they would be in your price range.

18. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i'm a big believer in the Mix/Blend knob .. !! helps keep Your tone intact ... i use mine to slightly tame possible spikes , tighten lows a bit , and add a little more sustain ..

at that price , i really liked the Seymour Duncan ' Studio Bass ' ... mix with filter switch . !

but i wanted something a little warmer with some visual cues = DarkGlass Super Symmetry ( but it's $200 )

have heard good things regarding the Keeley Bassist ... it does have the Mix knob , but folks state it is very transparent .. ! ( especially at it's price point )

19. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    The Demeter hasn't been an eye opener here and bongo didn't give it a great review but I agree with you. I think its a great compressor. Really fattens the bass.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021