Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stompboxes all gone, Wimbish's career OVER!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Sep 26, 2003.

1. :p
    Ok, not over but the term "putting all your eggs in one basket" does come to mind...

July 11, 2003 11:45 pm EST
    Doug's Gear Stolen!!
    Doug Wimbish's precious collection of effect pedals got stolen recently at a clinic in LA. Below is the sad and upsetting message from T Dawg from our LC board:

I just got some bad news today. My friend is Doug's tech Gary. He just informed me that while Doug was out in LA this week doing a bass workshop at Loyola college and someone STOLE ALL OF HIS PEDALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! As you all know Doug's footwork is integral to his sound, and these missing pedals have dealt him a powerful blow. He's very upset, especially when he went to the school to instill his amazing knowledge on these students. I was hoping you folk in the LC sacred ground community could help. If you hear anything or know anything about his missing stuff please inform him at his web site (www.dougwimbish.com) or the band's managment (www.availableentertainment.com/) Thanks

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Ouch - here's feeling for Doug and hoping the pedals might turn up undamaged. I've no doubt that he can tear it up with just plugging straight into an amp, but I still feel for him.

Wulf

3. Couldn't help but poke just a _little_ bit of fun at this one...but yeah, I'd be crushed. Of course, most of my pedals are obscure boutique jobbies and maybe a "vintage" item thrown in for good measure. Doug's were mostly BOSS and easily replaced so I don't think it is exactly the cataclysm their making it out to be. The only "rare" piece that i know of in his set-up was the original red "Whammy" made here in Victoria, BC. I mean really...give the bass tech something to do besides tune basses...he can re-wire the entire chain (ouch.)

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
  6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You do realise that Doug doesn't keep the pedals on a board - he (or his tech) re-wires them up for every gig. Mad.

Alex

7. Ulp. I'll say...No doubt his techie has enough on his hands. I resisted a board myself for ages, enjoyed the layout just loose on the floor. That was a whole lotta tone-suckers to be wired through. Dougs signal must be teensy tiny by the time it reacehes the head....unless; the fx loop of his original Sansamp rack (not the MIDI one) has a clever buffer built right in to alance any signal loss. I bet that he runs a bunch through that.
    Really though....nothing _special_ in his chain save a few Lovetones, All Boss and DOD....>yawn<
    SO great to watch the guy's career evolve,his work with the Tackhead bunch and all of A.Sherwoods projects being my favs.. I just about died when he joined up with decoding society and Defunkt's (at one point) guitar player Mr.Reid. Wow...
    That video clip is such a score! ANymore of him out there in cyber land or what...?

8. Living Colour played The Garage in London on wednesday- any UK TB'ers go to that?

I saw them 2years ago at the Kentish Town Forum, and was a bit put off by the amount of effects Wimbish had on his signal when soloing- making high-pitched squealing noises- maybe a cutback in his effects setup could be a good thing;)

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    LC are playing Cologne on the 6th - I hope they get the thieves - and the pedals back.

Mad Subwoofer, there used to be a long vid of Doug's on the Montreux Jazz site IIRC. I saved in on HD with asfrecorder.

[EDIT] AFAIK Doug uses (used) a switching system, so signal loss is reduced.

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    This thread reminded me of the story of Larry Graham buying a Roland Jet-Phase pedal from a pawn shop that already had his name engraved on it.

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    that sucks his pedals were stolen. that particular whammy they dont make anymore, and they are hard to come by. hopefully all his stuff will turn up.

that video just kicked my ass. that was awsome. and can anyone post clips of the new album, that link doesnt work for me?

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Sounds like it's time for Doug to invest in some *gasp!* rack effects.

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    He's already got a whole bunch of rack effects as well!

I wouldn't think he'd have signal level or tone problems - all his basses are active so his chain is fully buffered.

Alex

14. I have a moderately sized path myself and while an active, neck-thru is essential in my world for a consistent, even tone the signal sure as heck does get whiddled away bit by bit with each and every box. My Morgan Miller bypass box takes care of any erroneous options, until I need them! You'd be surprised the kinda stuff that ends up being nasty tone suckers; those cheap molded patch cords for example!