Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stomping Grounds.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Thumb/index/middle (thumb thumb pluck pluck for the reall fast quadruplets) or fingerstyle? I'm talking about the part that starts on the B (4th fret g string) about 35 seconds into the live art version, and any other part where he's doing a fast run of banjo-bass 16th notes. Throwing me for fits. I think it's the open strings that are confusing the hell out of me. I tried playing it starting on the D string and I couldn't make the stretches so I'm reduced to playing it the actual, harder, way. I know a few of you have claimed the rights to playing this song...so here I stand asking for a tidbit of help.

2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Most of that song is fingerstyle, but I think the parts you are talking about involve the technique you are talking about with double thump and single plucks. Sound like triplets runs to me (down up pluck). Is it that part with the banjo right before the groove kicks back in? Can you be a bit more specific?

3. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I don't have that particular live album, but I know how to play the song/head. I believe I know what part in the head that you are talking about. I play that figure on the G/D/A strings. I start that figure on the 4th fret B (G string). I play it all with two fingers, no thumb.

Fun song to play. If you start on that 4th fret B, you pretty much can stay in one position to play the entire line. It's just really fast and requires some practice to get down.

4. I'm definatley getting it, I've just been practicing it non-stop. I don't like playing it on GDA because I hate the stretch invoved with that. Eh. I learned it at about 3/4th tempo down on G etc, and it's getting better. HE just has stupidly godlike control of the strings, i believe.

5. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    "HE just has stupidly godlike control of the strings, i believe."
    I noticed at one point in my playing that my strings were out of control, but I taught myself how to mute each string efficiently and my playing sound 1000% better.

6. If you get the Vic W transcription book 'The Best Of VW' - on Amazon if you want it - there's a full transcription in there - the run you are talking about is basically going round the C major scale and the line just goes up and down that, it is very fast but you could think of it as an open string 'etude' in second position on the neck. It starts on the B on the G string and is a kind of rolling set of repeated patterns, eventually ending up on G. I can just about play it but even Vic misses as couple of notes out at that tempo!

7. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Yeah the part you are talking about is just really well executed fingerstyle. Call me crazy, I really dig Vics fingerstyle and tapping more than his thump stuff. Also Vic doesn't thumb trail or mute with his right hand much. He is just really good at muting with his left hand, maybe from all of the muting in the thump technique. He does highly reccomend Adam Nitti's material. You should definately google search for Adam Nitti because he has great lessons in technique for both hands.

8. Yeah - it's all just finger style - I say to people if they look at what Vic does, as Vic himself says, all the thumb stuff comes from fingerstyle ideas anyway - and I agree Vic's finger style is just brilliant - he's not as subtle as Willis (not many are) but he knows just where and when to push and pull the notes - he's just a great all round player in my book.

9. Urb- I have that book, I'm slowly working through it. I got it about 4 months ago and couldn't play one thing. I'm just slowly going through it, I can play Amazing Grace, Sometimes I Laugh, and about 65% of classical thump and a couple others that escape me right now in their entirety, so I'm definatley improving my ...vic-ish playing, and I guess It's just going to come naturally and with time.

10. It took me about 8 years to get really good at the double thumping and open, hammer pluck techniques - and I learned Classical Thump from the very first, long deleted, Wooten instructional video - he must have been about 28 or so when he made this video - but he started the thing off with a pretty sweet rendition. I just kept watching and kept rewinding that tape until I got it - the funny thing is because I taught myself how to do it I invented a few little ways of playing arpeggios myself - have a look at this:

<a href=http://www.munkio.com/music/G%20Jam%20Bass%20Solo.mov>Little double thumping vid</a>