Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stone Roses + Sally Cinnamon Tab

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by KingMonkey, Sep 22, 2000.

1. KingMonkey

KingMonkey

Sep 22, 2000
    Hi,
    Does anyone else think from a pop/rock perspective Mani is the greatest bass player. Also does anyone have Stone Roses-Sally Cinnamon Tab.
    Cheers
    KingMonkey

2. Ressurection

Ressurection

Oct 30, 2001
    Scotland
    King Monkey,

That is the bloody name I wanted to use when I was signing up....bugger!!!
    I can't believe I have found someone that agrees with me. I too believe that Mani, is without a shadow of a doubt, the best bassist of his genre.
    Ever since 1989, I have loved the Roses, and got into the bass because of Mani...what a bassist!!
    Best rift has to be the break in I am the Ressurection??

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Try http://www.tabcrawler.com

Historically there will be at least one person coming in to tell you to learn how to read music and/or use you ears. Actually working it out by ear is a good skill to have.

Waterfall is my fave avoiding the obvious Stone Roses track.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What - "Fool's Gold" - which is great for the bassline - all the others are a bit dull - not much happening on bass!

I saw Mani playing with our Bobby Gillespie though and he was playing some really good stuff - nice dub lines!

5. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I used to be into Mani in a big way - in fact, She Bangs The Drums was the first "proper" bassline I ever learnt. He might play pretty simple stuff Bruce, but in my opinion it's simplicity for the sake of the song rather than simplicity because he can't do anything better. (a la Fieldy ;)) I wouldn't say he's in the same league as John Paul Jones or John Entwistle, but he was good for the Roses and he and Reni were a bloody good rhythm section.

6. Ressurection

Ressurection

Oct 30, 2001
    Scotland
    Well said!!! As someone more intelligent than the average human-being once said, "Why make it difficult, when simple does the job!!"

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But we are talking here about picking out people for their bass playing and so the stuff with the Stone Roses was nothing to write home about as far as I was concerned. His work with Primal Scream has been far more interesting in my opinion and I still like Fool's Gold - but why celebrate boring lines?

Ian Brown's solo work has been quote interesting as well - lots of "Eastern" influences and unusual sounds.

8. "boring lines", eh?

I certainly wouldn't call the basslines to "made of stone", "I am the resurrection"(not just the famous jam-out end riff), "this is the one" or "I wanna be adored" boring.
    maybe not funky like "Fool's gold", or "one love", but good all the same.