Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stone Temple Pilots call it quits

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Nov 16, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If you go to www.belowempty.com you can get the details, the Deleo brothers pretty much made the annoncment throgh a interview. It is rough when when one of your favorite bands split. What great music they put out i hope one day the reunite

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

That is really bad news. Actually, though, I'm surprised they lasted this long given their front man's problems with drugs. They were a gifted band. I remember when they were first starting out, many critics made comparisons of them to Pearl Jam and said they were just ripping off the Pearl Jam style, but I guess they proved their critics wrong by being distinctive and making much memorable music. I, for one, will miss them. Maybe they can do an Eagles-type come back when they are all in their late forties.

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That's a real bummer. They were an awesome band in their prime. I really hope they do what the Eagles did. Get Weiland cleaned up and reunite ten years later or so. When the Eagles did it it became my first concert and was a great tour AFAIK (I was 8 at the time and had AWESOME seats). Maybe STP can do that someday. Either way, I hope the members succeed in whatever other projects they do.

4. MAJOR METAL

The great thing about STP was none of their albums ever sounded the same, each song was a diffrent style.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have to echo Bop's comments and say that I'm also surprised that they lasted as long as they did. Actually, not to sound cynical; but I'm surprised that Scott Weiland is still alive.

I would love to see them do a reunion tour some years down the road. As long as they dn't charge the same insane tickets prices that The Eagles did. ;)

And what's with critics and the Pearl Jam comparisons? I remember in the eary 90's you couldn't start a rock band without being called a Pear Jam or Nirvana rip-off. Core sounds nothing like PJ. And I still don't see the Creed/PJ connection. (other than Scott Stapps singing style)

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Very true, I was just listening to Tiny Music.... a few weeks ago, and the experimentation is out of this world. Core is still my favorite. I like No. 4 a lot also.

I think if STP was a little more prolific and Scott didn't have drug problems, they could have been this generation's Led Zepplin.

7. MAJOR METAL

Tiny Music is my favorite album, I would say it is a Musicans album. I can really see the Zeplin connection. Did anyone else realize how much of their touring was messed up by scotts addiction.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Agreed! I love the band but Scott looks to be trying to burn out early. As much as I'm sad they are parting.... I am pumped for a new Deleo Bro's band. Time to move up and beyond Scott's drama.

9. Scott is now working with Slash and Duff of Guns N Roses in a band called Velvet Revolver. They'll have an album out in February or so on RCA.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I felt neither GnR nor STP magic in the little I've heard :meh:

maybe this new release will have a spark

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Only thing that shocked me about Layne Staleys death, was that is wasn't Scottie.

STP was a great band!

12. MAJOR METAL

I think i could see down the road a reunion tour or record but i think it will be a number of years before that.

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    That's sad news, I've always thought of STP as one of the standout rock groups of my generation. I still enjoy listening (and playing) a most of their stuff, and I'm REALLY happy I saw them live last year in a small venue (few thousand SRO max) before they called it quits for good. It's really tragic when a good group ceases to exist...

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    "I am pumped for a new Deleo Bro's band. Time to move up and beyond Scott's drama."

Speddling....SO AM I! Man I hope they hook up with a singer and drummer on par with them and with level heads. That would be great.

whoever mentioned STP being the 90's Led Zepplin...I totally agree with that as well.

-Bazz-

15. MAJOR METAL

Did any of you read the article at www.belowempty.com i really thoght Robert and Dean were more then patient with their bandmates issues.One thing i can say is they hade some great chemistry, they just fit so well in a band.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

STP....I dug 'em. Too bad, but at least they didn't make a bunch of crap and then call it quits.

It's better to quit while on top, than be begged to.

17. MAJOR METAL

Smash Robert and Dean wouldent disband from one another just with Scott in their line up.

18. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I was a HUGE STP fan and have to echo the semtiments that:
    1) I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did,
    2) Became increasingly frustrated at their under-realized potential after the first three albums.

I saw STP on their big summer tour in support of the second album. This was the tour where they did the Zeppelin-esque acoustic set in the middle of the show...with the living room set up, etc. The show was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! After they missed out on several major headlining tours and a PHEMONIMAL opportunity to open for Page/Plant, I saw them in Chicago a year or two ago and was completely unaffected by the concert. It wasn't necessarily "bad", but it was just "blah"! I'll still get the new album, but I'm very excited to see what the DeLeo bros. do in their next project.

19. MAJOR METAL

STP did one of the best acoustic sets in current music