Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stone Temple Pilots " Purple "

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 20, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I just put this album on after not hearing it for maybe 6 or 7 months and this single album captures so many diffrent aspects of Rock plus some of the biggest Rock singles of the 90's came off it IE Interstate Love song, Big Empty and Vaseline. One of my Favorite STP records, i hope they get back together. :bassist:

2. MAJOR METAL

Check out " Still Remains" :bassist:

3. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Great record. It still blows me away every time I listen to it. I really liked "Core" as well. "Dead and Bloated" was a great song to open a CD with. Perhaps it was a furneral dirge for hair metal?

4. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Love it. That and Tiny Music are two of my favorite albums. :bassist:

5. MAJOR METAL

I think Tiny Music is my Favorite STP album but purple is so 90's rockin. Do you like Shangri La De Da?, their is some great expermimental stuff like tiny music on it.

6. Rob Deleo is a great bass player. his playing on "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart" would be what it would sound like if Jamerson played rock.

7. MAJOR METAL

I agree ! , he is rock solid groovin player. :bassist:

8. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I do like it, but I don't love it. :) It's a very solid album.

This thread is really making me hope they get things up and going again. :(

9. MAJOR METAL

It could happen but you never really know.

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    STP were great. "Purple was one of the first albums I ever owned and I still love listening to it. It brings back many memories of the 90's that wouldn't have been the same without bands like them. STP were also a great band to see live. They came out rocking and didn't stop until the encore was over. I saw them in an arena where I was in the front row with my girlfriend at the time. It was a general admission show and we fought our way to the front. Near the end of their second set, the band could tell that a lot of people were suffering from heat and pressure exhaustion, due to being pressed toward the stage by thousands of fans. Robert and Dean DeLeo set down their instruments and began handing out bottles of water to those who looked the worst. Robert even shook my hand as he handed my girlfriend an Aquafina! After they were done tending to their fans, they returned to the stage and pounded out the most intense version of "Naked Sunday" that I will ever hear. Great entertainers. Great musicians. Great men.

11. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I just picked up a new copy of Purple after breakign my old disc a while ago.. :mad:

I almost forgot how rockin' this album is; I've definitely had my memory refreshed. ;) There are some great great tunes on here.

12. MAJOR METAL

Its an awesome record, I love Robert's chops on Big Empty. :bassist:

13. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    STP rocks. Plain and simple. Core plays like a greatest hits album, and purple is just as good.

We covered "sex type thing" a while ago. Real easy, fun song to rock out to, that the crowd always loved.

14. I guess I'm the outsider here, I actually like No.4 best. The other ones are great though.

15. MAJOR METAL

4 is a great record it took me a littel whille to get into it though. I think 4 really just shows how STP can run the rock spectrum on one record from Down to Atlanta , their are times you wouldent even think it is the same band. :bassist:

16. The wierd thing is, I don't own any STP CD's, but my coworker listened to all of their CD's for 4 months straight, so I got to know them prertty well. That said, Atlanta might be my favorite song of all time.

17. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    STP rock, and you just can't deny Robert DeLeo's playing. "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart" is one of my favorite bass lines of all time. All their albums rock, but have a great variety of music.

18. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I love STP. Purple definately is an awesome album. I need to get a new copy, though. Mine's scratched like no other.... :( :mad:

19. IMO "Purple" is one of the BEST albums of the 90's. Period. Aside for the last "hidden" track, not a bad song on it.

The music still holds up today. Those guys did not make disposable music.

20. Hey! Even the hidden track is great

"our second albuu-uuuu-uuuummmmmmmmmm"

so kitchy

I live STP. One of the all time faves. Tiny music is my fave, Purple, then Shangri, then #4 then core.

Rob DeLeo, great bass player. damn.