1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stoner / Doom Bassist Thread - Part 17 Finally a Square Deal

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by blendermassacre, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Still on vacation, but sub'd.

2. Mattosaur

Mattosaur

Jan 21, 2011
    Michigan
    Finally got a chance to really open up my big muff at practice yesterday. We closed up the first half of practice with a big old gain-off-the-charts jam. I think we have 4 or so songs that are about ready to be arranged. Lots of good stuff. I'm excited to demo some of it and get some feedback.

3. haha. I laughed out loud at this...

4. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Borrowed OldCrow's Tubeworks Blue Tube overdrive last night. It's a quiet pedal but I'm liking it a lot. I pulled the tube out and jumped the pins and it's a nice distortion even without the tube. I haven't decided which way I like better but I have been inpsired to build a solid state version.

I hate the word "warm" with a passion but I must admit it really is quite warm sounding.

5. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    i missed the entire last thread. anything good? lol

6. After listening to band practice in the car, I can't get over how well the H2 captured the drums.

7. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    It moved way to fast for me. I caught bits and pieces of the last 5 pages. It was a blur.

8. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    some dudes got stoned and wrote some riffs

9. Jason!

Jason!

Nov 14, 2008
    GR, MI
    Those are pretty rad. We usually record practices with one of those and a laptop with Logic. I'd like to blend the recording from the H2 with the Logic recording as a room mic sorta thing cause it does make the drums sound gnarly.

10. My hope is that repositioning the H2 or the amps will yield a better result in capturing the guitars.

11. twhitedc

twhitedc

Feb 19, 2011
    NJ
    Make sure you have the auto gain and on board limiter set to concert as well. Makes a world of difference. You can also try playing with the mic arrangements.

12. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
  13. You should come down here for a bit. There's a guy up the street selling tie-dyed shirts for cheap you could lay around the floor, and hang on the walls!

14. Some orange crates for end tables, a broke-down couch, some Sabbath posters, a couple of bongwater stains on some carpet remnants, and you're set..

15. I got a green L-shape sectional in good condition(no stains from animals, humans, etc., just a few cushions that aren't as fluffy)that we don't use, that I could see if my wife would be okay with letting go. It's be perfect for a band couch. If you need a cushion per band member, it'll seat 6(well, of me), but probably more. :p

16. Jason!

Jason!

Nov 14, 2008
    GR, MI
    It'll look like Ted Nugent's practice space.

17. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    We actually don't have much room for furniture other than the fridge. It's all good though, we go there to practice and hang out at other places. We're just trying to find stuff to cover the cement floor and make the room sound a little better since it is all dry wall.

18. dunwichamps

dunwichamps Commercial User

Jul 23, 2012
    Owner: Dunwich Amps
    thanks for the love in those previous pages in part 16. I certainly can do bass amp but as one poster mentioned the are quite costly due to iron cost mostly but also complexity of design to actually achieve 200 or 300W output. Another thing is wait time, which is quite long.

Kevin's (skip) amp is almost a bass amp but is really tuned for guitar with the EQ and various controls being setup for guitar but the back end of the amp is fairly close to a SVT with modified Williamson phase inverter along with an ECC99 being used to achieve DC coupling to the plate of the KT88s so you can achieve Class AB2. The power supply is also not as beefy and complex as the usual SVT design is.

I dont have a ton of time to post in this forum as I spend 99% of my time in hcfx and or SRL and ILF. So excuse the spam/annoying post here but if neone has any questions you can always email me or even a PM here to start a convo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.