Stoner/Doom Bassist Thread Part 4: Reefer Madness Made Me So Depressed!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eyeballkid, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    continued from here part 3

welcome to part 4 fellas!

2. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Ah I was going to suggest the thread title REEFER MADNESS!

3. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    How about IM SO DEPRESSED lol

4. I don't play in a stoner or doom band, but I like a lot of them. And I don't smoke. Is that weird?

5. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Not weird at all man. Welcome!

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    NK and Laz.. consider it done!

7. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Nice!

I'm standing in line at Canada Post right now to pick up my Fuzzrocious Rat Tail!

8. let us know how it goes. i really couldn't get it to work, it always sounded too sputtery. clips would be great if possible.

Yes I am a clip whore.

And I guess this should be this thread's theme song

9. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Will do! I'll be trying it tonight with my power metal band, and tomorrow with my stoner rock band.

10. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I think THIS should be the threads theme song

11. ok, you win.

on a slightly different topic, I am now La Bella fanboy. I love their strings. They are the type of product that doesn't blow you away when you're playing bass by yourself but once you're in a band situation they really shine. Similar to SVTs, P-basses and OxFuzzes.

I have Slappers on my J-Bass, Deep Talkin' Flats on the P-Bass, Hard Rockin' Steels on the Ric and Deep Talkin' Rounds on the Lakland. They all have that dark La Bella character but they also have significant enough differences that you really have to pick and choose between differing combinations of bass and strings. I have spent the last year or so trying every string possible and I think I have stumbled on the right combinations for me.

12. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

Jan 20, 2011
    Been listening to some Bongripper lately, Satan Worshipping Doom. Heavy stuff, love it.

Also, spent a lot of time chilling to Monster Magnet's "25.......Tab". Yeah, man! Love the heavy fuzz bass.

13. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    All my basses like different strings from different makers. I wish I could settle on one maker but the basses decide what they like in the end. Some of my basses have yet to find their perfect string but some have. My Grabber likes Dunlop nickels, my 74 P likes roto flats, my parts Jazz bass likes chromes, and my Ric likes Circle k's. I'm still looking for strings for my parts PJ and Parts P But i got tons of strings to try for the Parts P and I've tried a ton for the parts PJ and got a set of circle k's coming for it maybe next stop labella rounds.

14. Oh and I found this. Swirls and fisheye. can't beat that combo ;)

15. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i'm sure we all regret some of the things we've put in our mouths to score a lid.

thanks sam! no album yet, just the minimum of rehearsal stuff to get gigs... Cult of the Lost Cause

16. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Chromes go on all my basses and that's just how it is!

17. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Try Roto steels on the P. My personal favorite for P basses for sure.

18. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    hey all long time lurker. I play in a more traditional heavy metal band but i have quite a overdriven/distorted tone last week as i soundchecked with some slow powerchord riffing the dj stopped the pop music mid song and changed it to electric wizard.Needless to say it brought a smile to my face.

19. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Hah! I would have bought him a beer immediately.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.