Stoner/Doom Bassist Thread Part 5

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    This day is too slow to declare NBD and not show pics guys. Gimme something to work with over here.

2. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    Speaking of amps of the non Tube Monster variety, I'm thinking of trying another microamp. A backup for my Traynor (dragging my Sound City to gigs is a pain) and to have something at home for recording and practice through a 1x12 or something. I used to have a Markbass LMII and it was plenty loud and sounded decent enough with some OD or a fuzz, but there was some scoop in the low mids that drove me crazy and had me tweaking knobs every practice, which I hated. It seems that's just the sonic fingerprint of Markbass, from what I've read while I had it and since.

I was thinking of trying out the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 or maybe one of the Genz Benz Shuttle or Streamliner. Everyone seems obsessed with how close any of them get to a tube amp, but I'm not sure I like SS amps that can't clean up all the way. My Beta Bass is like that, great for over the top gain, not so much for anything else. I already have a stack of tube amps anyway. I think I like the idea of an amp that can do clean and hi-fi if I want it and I can always throw a little subtle OD in front if I want the grit.

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    Lowest: I'm considering selling my Ashdown pre, if youre lookin hit me up. Its really badass, thick and gooey or hifi clean or aggressive and gritty..jusg depends on what you engage...this was my goto.for yeeeaars, and still would be if I didnt luck into the JGR.

Corey: dont do it!

4. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Corey (or anyone else), i posted a pic of the bass, is it not showing up? i can see it on my computer.
    +1 on getting a micro backup, it's on my list, especially after switching to an all tube setup. the ampeg PF's are pretty sweet!

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    Thombo: theres a space where the pic should be, but it doesnt show.

6. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    hmmm... how do i post pics that are stored on my computer? all i've ever done is post from websites

7. You can add as an attachment to you message, or upload it to a site like photobucket.

8. So got word about my SVT, needs a few caps replaced, 2 screen resistors are blown and needs power tubes which also means new driver tubes and phase inverter, it's going to add up...oh the joy of vintage amps. Decision time, do I fix it or ditch it?

9. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    78 SVT, i'd fix it!

10. Man the Torche/Part Chimp split is weak. Some of the weakest songs from Torche ever.

Corey, I did not like the 6.0 Shuttle I heard. I don't have personal experience with Aguilar, but everything I have heard from them sounds like gold.

Sam, you already have so many tube amps. What has made you hold onto the Ampeg? If you say tone or anything close to tone, invest in it. If you don't know why you "need" it, sell it.

Thom if you send me the bass, I can take some real good pics ;)

11. Well actually I'm down to the Matamp and the Peavey power amp with a slightly malfunctioning pre. YBA-3 is sold.

12. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    Haha, don't worry I'm not planning on replacing my tube amps. I've had my eye out for another YBA-1 for a while actually.

13. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I own a tone hammer that I ran thru a power amp and a shuttle 9.0, I like both. Granted I don't use them for stoner/doom but they get used on everything else. Can't beat a good EQ'd D.I. And a Swiss army knife micro amp.

14. LowestEnd-if you like the "Eden" tone, alot of players recommend Genz (either the Shuttle 9.0 or the Streamliner 900). Aguilar is great tone from all I've heard, and the Mesa Carbine M9 is finicky from what everyone says, but has good sound too. And a +1 to having a micro as a backup anyways.

15. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Played through and Aguilar 750 tonight at practice. What a great sounding amp!

I'm beat. Hopefully tomorrow I'll take some pics and make a NBD thread. Second practice with the new band tonight. We're getting some good chemistry going.

16. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    What's wrong with me? I think I may be maturing...lately I've been starting to thinking about going to a single smaller cab, like a 2x10 or 2x12, for space and weight saving. I would never get rid of the sunn 2x15 though, love me that sqaureback crunch. And then for big doom, I could use both cabs. If you guys use something of this sort, got any recommendations? I've been looking at Eden, Aguilar, Ampeg, Markbass, and new the prices scare me. I dont know too much about them but have also heard about Carvin, Avatar, even Sonic. Are there older cabs, maybe even more vintage sounding 2x10's as apposed to Hi-Fi, that would be easier to find used?Also, my Ampeg is rack mountable, I may start looking into a rack with a drawer for my pedals and cords.

17. My most recent GAS attack is the DB750/751...they don't come up used here very often at all. I wouldn't buy it new either I find Aggie gear to be overpriced.

Maybe a Tone Hammer pedal or Micro?

18. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    My buddy bruce (TB basey) uses a db750 into a older Aguilar 810 with a agro rack and 5 string loaded with barts and it rips in his death/black/sludge band.

Helmsplitter | Facebook

He is moving and they are replacing him, it will never be the same, it never is when you replace a member of the rhythm section.

The tracks he cut for that album are with the same set up minus the agro, in its place a fuzzrocious rat tail.

19. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Didn't have our normal portable recorder last night so we recorded some **** on a phone so we wouldn't forget it and even on there my tone is monstrous. Having to use my guitarist's db750 and berg nv610 is such a rough life! ;)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.