Stoner/Doom Bassist Thread Part 5

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    That's a hell of a rig for a guitar player!

2. no s**t!

3. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Nope. 2*10's and 4*10's for bass are a recent development, and they have always had large long-throw voice coils and oversized magnets, for that modern sound. Think Eden, SWR Goliath, etc.

Old-school 10's are for gui****s only. They can't handle the low end. Push 'em hard, and they blow up, instead of crunching out like a JBL 15.

4. If you want a vintage sounding and relatively cheap 210 then I recommend the Ampeg 210AV. Sealed cab that sound very close to the old square back 810s. It's very light and easy to carry but won't go too loud. You would need 2 of them for more volume.

5. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Well I wouldn't call him A guitar player, just MY guitar player. He plays 3 different instruments in 3 different bands. And he likes gear :>

6. Jason!

Jason!

Nov 14, 2008
    GR, MI
    What a bummer! I've wanted to get my hand on a 750 but a bit too pricey. You like it though?

7. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah man it was great. I'm sure the Berg didn't hurt either. Might try hooking it up to my cabs to see how it sounds that way as well. Didn't twiddle with it much as I was just using it for practice but running my RB950 into my bluebeard into that amp and the tone was sweet. Hadn't used a hybrid amp in awhile but the sound was full and thick.

Severe rig envy setting in, but that will happen when you don't actually own a functioning amp ;)

8. Just finished listening to the latest Bongripper album. Mind = blown. Long time since I heard some great new stoner doom.

9. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I thought about them, but the needing to get 2 strays me away...Im more looking for a stand alone 2x10, preferably at 4ohms to use all of my amps power.

found this on the old youtuber, it sounds promising...
    EarCandy Sweettooth 2x10 Bass speaker cabinet and Carvin Pro Bass Amplifier #2 - YouTube

10. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Are you planning on buying new or did you find one used? I own two EarCandy BassBomb 212s. They are quad porter and can take 900W each. Some of the best sounding cabs I've ever heard.

However, there have been lots of reports of Tim stealing money from customers. A quick Google search will show this. He went missing for awhile and is now back taking new orders without addressing the old concerns. You can find a long post of mine here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/s...read-part-5-a-831702/index8.html#post11884604

11. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's the thing I've only heard them in that video, they sound great! But when I went hunting for them on the interwebs, I found nothing. Nothing new or used for sale and even the EarCandy website didn't work, at least for me...

From my research so far, the two leaders for the great 2x10 race, is either Carvin or used Eden.

12. Not a fan of Eden cabs, they typically have a very pronounced bump in the high mids. Try before you buy, they have a very distinct, love it or hate it, sound.

13. Truth. Eden gear has a more hifi sound, IME. The Carvin BR210 (I think thats the new name) is sealed. I don't know if I would want that for a standalone though. Also, you are still keeping the 2-15" cab right, mc_muench? You may have a hard time finding a 2-10" that will keep up. If you are not running them together, I would advise against using a single 2-10" by itself. I am running a single 1-15" now and am missing my thunder (of a 2-15" atleast, not tone).

In that knowledge, you are going to get a ton of different answers here. If you could explain your tone goals with this setup, we collectively, might be able to offer a better opinion.

If I was looking for a 2-10", I would probably end up with a 2-12" cab for stanalone use. And, it would probably be an Avatar.

14. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i'm going to try this again... can you see it now? photo-3.jpg

15. Nice, very classy!

16. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I can see it thombo, looks good. Love the black/tortoise shell/rosewood combo on a Jazz bass.

17. Nice. That looks like my bass, except for the black strat knobs. I love Tort and black. I get compliments on it all the time.

18. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    IMO eden cabs when paired with eden heads sound great but not so much when either is paired with something else. I once owned wt550 and410xlt and found it less hifi than most hybrid or solid state heads I've heard althought I've never spent anytime with an aguilar rig.
    Sometimes i miss my old rig :crying:

19. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ill be using the just the 2x10 for more of the not doom, Indie pop rock that I play, and for when space is tight and I dont want to carry the 2x15. For doom, larger shows where space isnt that much of a factor, and my back is up to it, or when I want to be obnoxiousness loud, I'd be using either just the sunn 2x15 or both cabs.

You can correct me if Im wrong, but If I have the HiFi sound of the 2x10 and the crunchiness of the 2x15, that may be a good mix...to my ears that what I have now, the sunn has a crunchy midy tone and the sonic 2x15 I have now, which I will be trading soon for a EHX Micro synth, is more clear and tight. I really like it, the crunchy is on top and the clear tone rises from underneath. Id keep both but for me, 2 2x15's is overkill.

Whatever I buy I will wanna try first, no doubt.

So far I've only been looking at 2x10's but should I look into 2x12's? I felt like they may would go into 2x15 territory too much, but what do I know...

20. there is no point in mixing a 210 with a 215, you won't really hear the tone of the 210 over the 215. So my opinion is to have two stand alone cabs, the 215 for louder stuff and a 210, 212, 115 or an efficient 112 for quieter stuff. Also keep in mind that the speaker diameter plays a very small part in the overall sound and even volume of the cab. You should try as many cabs as possible that meet you weight and cabinet dimension criteria regardless what the speaker compliment is.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.