Stoner/Doom Bassist Thread Part 5

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exactly. I loved the 2-12" I had. I only dumped it to build the BFD Omni 15, which is getting no use at all. Knowing what I know now, I would have kept the 2-12".

I will again advise against a 2-10" for standalone use. I would start with a 1-15", 2-12", or lastly a 4-10" cab if I wanted something a bit more portable. I personally went with the 1-15" and I think it's so awesome, I'll be getting another one as soon as I can. I was also really close to going with a 2-12" and the main reason I didn't was that the Carvin I picked up was on blowout from their ebay store. There was a knick in the tolex inside the bottom port. I scored it with a 27% discount.

2. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    This is exactly why I like them. ;) I have a hard attack on the strings and want that to come through. Not to be clicky or anything, but very "present".

I haven't noticed this when I use other heads with my cab (410XLT) that much, but that's interesting.

3. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    To any Ohio people on here: Yob's only Ohio date is tomorrow night (Jan. 26th) @ Ace of Cups. My band White Wolves is opening, along with a phenomenal band from Akron called Mockingbird. Pumped!
    YOB with MOCKINGBIRD and WHITE WOLVES | Facebook

4. Darkonar

Darkonar

Dec 14, 2011
    Chile
    is it right to use a guitar head in a bass cab to play bass? I just don't want to start a new thread...

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    Which head with what cab?

6. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i've heard some guitar heads sound good. the problem comes when using guitar speakers- guitar speakers don't move enough for bass, so they are over-exerted when driven, ruining the speaker.

7. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ill have to try for it out for myself, I dont what the 2x10 to have a standout tone overall when using both cabs, just to add a bit clarity to things, if you really listen for it. I definitely will try as many different cabs before I buy, I got time, gotta save first.

8. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Been getting home after the sun goes down every day so haven't had the chance to take good pics of the new bass. But man this thing is gorgeous. It needs a little work as its 35 years old and the neck is slightly warped. Ground wire is loose and I'll need to solder it, but it seems like it will play and sound awesome.

Either way it is one BAMF.

9. Fuzzbassian

Fuzzbassian

Jan 12, 2012
    I used to use a 50 watt tube guitar head into a 4x10 for bass playing.It wasn't bad.Some heavy overdrive tones.There wasn't much head room,and it really wasn't very loud,but had a very vintage vibe to it.If you want a heavy overdrive tone at reasonable volumes,it'll work fine,but for professional gigging you really need something with a bit more power.I'd say don't go below 100 watts.

10. Darkonar

Darkonar

Dec 14, 2011
    Chile
    I've been thinking in something like this ..sorry for the paint quality :smug:

[​IMG]

That's my new DIY 10''+15'' cab, and i'm on a pretty tight budget for the head(s) and a huuuge imagination..

So that's what i came with, I could run either one or both heads, since the speakers have their own input at 8 ohms and both heas have 2 8ohm outs.

I was thinking, when running both heads, the guitar head (Laney LX120h) should move the 10'' speaker for wet/distorted/whatever mids and highs, and the bass head (Behringer BX4500h) to the 15'' for raw dry bass..

I loove using Behringer and guitar gear :bag:

11. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I just realized I don't think anyone here has ever mentioned the band Witch. J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr! Awesome band.

"SEER"-WITCH - YouTube

12. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Also, good news from Wade at Monolith. He says they have found and fixed the flaw in the Magma PCBs and are doing extensive testing to make sure no further bugs exist. :)

13. Very good news!

14. One of the most memorable riffs ever...

Started mixing the new record last night, and I am loving how it's turning out. I'll post a few small samples later, would love to hear your thoughts...

15. Jason!

Jason!

Nov 14, 2008
    GR, MI
    Sweet! I'll get mine sent out soon.

16. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    So I just put an old odb-3 pedal I've been neglecting after my wren and cuff TFR I got off our used pages here about a month ago.

:eek::crying::ninja::D:D:D

Sounds so killer together.

17. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    Hopin to hear the same good news on mine soon...that would be awesome!

18. Mattosaur

Mattosaur

Jan 21, 2011
    Michigan
    In my search for a bit of grit from an overdrive pedal I had been considering getting something like a Sansamp. I bought a Behringer DI (basically a VT knock-off) for $30. The overdrive on it is kind of crap, but wow does the tube amp modelling sound great. I couldn't believe the difference it made in my tone. I might have to actually get a nice one instead of the cheapo Behringer.

Can't wait to see what it sounds like in my live rig. I need to find a place where I can get loud once in awhile. I don't want to rent my own practice space or anything, but I'd love a place where I could test new elements in my rig once a month or so.

19. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    ...and then ONE day, I met a maaaaaan, I took his haaaaaand.....WAAAAAAAAAAH!

:bassist:

20. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    all you magma guys are holding up my cabs, so even im pulling for your magmas! haha but its good that wade figured out the issue, hopefully everything works out and we all get sweet gear soon.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.