Stoner/Doom Bassist Thread Part 5

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omie

omie

Apr 5, 2011
    Arizona
    I had a VT bass deluxe set to OD-dist-fuzz, when I put the VT behind the other dirt it made all the other pedals sound like it. When I put it in front of my dirt it sounded like mud. Lots of people say it will work and I was told that my problem was that it won't stack well if the sansamp is set to distort. I guess I'm saying, be careful. I liked the VT but I sold it anyways.. I prefer my sft at 18v which is similar but sounds more organic set to OD but the sft won't do the clanky highs or the low lows the VT would do and the sft is easier to dial in as it sounds good at most settings.

2. Mattosaur

Mattosaur

Jan 21, 2011
    Michigan
    Think of the VT/Sansamp pedals as amp modellers-- they're trying to add color to your tone like an tube amp would. So, since you would normally run effects before the pre-amp stage of the tube amp, you can get similar results running your other effects before the VT.

I tried it both ways, and it was pretty clear that I'd be running my BDI21 at the end of my signal chain.

3. Rushing

Rushing

Dec 18, 2011
    Minnesota
  4. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I think the sansamp stuff sounds to fake and kinda sterile. I had a gt2 that was ok but their are way better pre's I think. Even pedal pre's. When I think of a sansamp the first thing that comes to mind is every bad/generic, heavy/rock/death metal tone out their. Sorry, rant ;)

5. +1. I had the sansamp pedal for awhile and just couldn't see what the fuss was about. It just had no personality to it. just my opinion

6. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    Opinions are what they are and everything, but I love the thing.

I don't use the EQ on it much, just the drive and presence really. If you set it right it can really bring out some cool tones from your bass. It's not the warmest sounding pedal, but I have plenty of warmth from the Warwick and Eden.

7. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    It is a real love hate thing i think, I'm just on the bad side ;) to each his own though. It's any piece of gear really, that one in particular for me just don't cut it anywhere for me past or present.

8. +1

There is an audible difference when I run the bass fuzz after the DI. Not horrible, but not as pleasant.

I also agree that it can sound generic, but it doesn't have to. I use mine as more of a boost pedal with some extra EQ cut capabilities. It also adds a hit of color to the tone. As previously mentioned, adds some emulated tube warmth. In this application, the pedal really shines.

9. The same for me and active electronics. I learned a $470 lesson with that.

10. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    NO YOU'RE WRONG! IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ME ON ANYTHING YOU'RE PERSONALLY INSULTING ME!!!

:):smug:

11. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Owned a BDDI and an RBI (same thing really). Both sounded "ok" but always sounded kind of thin to me. Then again I'm not a big knob twiddler and maybe I just had a hard time finding my sweet spot. But all the amps I've loved I haven't had to mess with much.

12. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    I find david's heads/cabs were designed as a system. Might not be the case when they stopped making their own speakers but can't say for sure.

I always wanted to try a mesa 400+ with my 410xlt but never got the chance.

There is not doubt that the 410xlt is well build cab.

13. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    My girlfriend has the RBI. They are slightly different. The BDDI is a little warmer (well, I should say "less cold") sounding, but if you switch the "instrument/line" output on the BDDI to "line" they're identical.

I've gigged with the Eden cab with a variety of amps... some Hartkes, some GKs, my Eden Preamp and some others I don't remember. They've all sounded pretty good. While what you say makes total sense I wonder if it's just the differences between amps you heard?

Sound is subjective, obviously, and I want to make it clear that I'm not in any way discrediting your opinion here. Even though this is the internet and we're supposed to get angry when someone disagrees. ;)

14. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    You maybe right that I just didn't like the heads i tried with it or might have had the settings farged. If you like your tone I'm not trying to deter you. Just my 2 cents.
    :bassist:

15. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    LMAO

16. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    the internet sure is a weird place after 4 tabs of acid

17. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    very sure everythings connected,in small ways not cosmic ones just like friends knowing people

18. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    almost time for part "666" lol

19. Yup

20. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    i had to see them live once drummer in my band loves em i nearly fell asleep
    mightve been more fun if id of felt like i do now then

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.