Stoner/Doom Bassist Thread Part 5

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Man, I just got two new peds and can't play with them with these lame third shift hours I'm on. Work and sleep......

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    - on the Ox I keep the internal trim turned counter clockwise as far as it sounds good (low clipping).. the fuzz is then at about 3 oclock (where the fuzziness really just begins with the internal setting) and the blend about 9 oclock, as it gets dirtier I was turning up the blend.

-Im diggin on the B3K, but I dont know if its a keeper for me. Some of the tones are awesome, but Im not sure how much the ones I really like will get used or be that distinct from what Ive already got to justify its cost for me... The scooped tone is only on the 'fat'/ setting, the 'raw' one isnt at all. In fact I think its got a mid bump to cut thru. The fuzz video is where its sounds the most scooped, but with the same settings on the knobs and put on 'raw' its got plenty of presence. Keep in mind the B3K is primarily an overdrive that can be made to sound fuzzy.

-i bought the tall font in the classifieds on here. I think you have to order the mod when you buy it but its readily available.

-this is my 2nd Supercollider and its way cooler than my first. I dont know what the difference is.

-When it comes to the DD and the Kaeden, keep in mind Im playing a Stingray and its active. With something like your Ric youre gonna get a mellowed out low middy version. The DD I dont use much, but the Kaeden seems to really come in handy for those parts after heavy sections where the guitar drops back and the bass can by comparison sound empty for a measure or two. I click on the Kaeden and its got a nice round presence that fills the sonic hole with just enough to make the bass still sound driving... know what I mean?

To Lars... I wouldnt describe the Bluebeard as having "punishing" low end, but it holds it pretty well. I think the only odd thing about the Bluebeard is that you actually have to set it a little louder than you would think in the mix. It has the low end, but unless you get the volume correct it will seemingly blend in with the guitar distortion. I wouldnt describe it as getting lost, just blending in. Despite all the bad lip the BBM gets I think its a damn decent little pedal. It doesnt have a big sonic range, but if you like its sound its awesome. I had kept it after cycling thru a dozen higher end fuzzes and I like it better. I especially liked it as an overdrive. As for fuzzes with lots of low end, the Tall Font, and the Supercollider get there quite well, and IF you can deal with the size the Sublime is SUH-WEET!!!!! Its versatile on the fly with the footwheel, which is the part that makes it really useful. I can use it for two different parts of a song without bending down.... unfortunately that is the part you would have to lose to reduce the size... for me, its worth it!

3. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Do you guys like any non-dirt pedals? More like preamp/tone shaping pedals? I'm working on something as more of an extra tonal control to mix with my dirt pedals and I'm wondering if anyone else would want to use something like this for doomy stuff.

Consider this casual market research.

4. I have tried a few tone shaping pedals: Electronix Submarine, it was OK a little over-hyped in my opinion, basically a mid control.

MXR 6 band EQ, nothing special, a little noisy but it does what you would expect it to.

Barber EQ, again over-hyped, sounds nothing like a B-15 in my opinion, did not really add any magic and if it did it was way too subtle to be heard in any loud rock situation. maybe if you played in a middle aged suburban blues band...you know the type, it would be ok.

MXR Micro Amp, i know it is supposed to be just a clean boost but it does add something to the tone, I don't know what exactly but it makes everything sound smoother.

Empress Para EQ, aweseome parametric EQ in a fairly small box. Easy to use and very high quality with virtually no noise. It is on the expensive side but this is a perfect example of you get what you pay for. Virtually impossible not to be able to get the tone in your head. Good for clean bass or dirty, I have used it as a preamp straight into a PA and I have used as a pedal. I use it to mimic my 810 when I don't have access to it, I can turn my traynor into and SVT and vice versa but you really have to understand frequencies and how things are voiced to get it to work. My only complaint is that the pedal is virtually impossible to read on a dark stage. so you have to memorize where all the frequencies are on the knobs. other than that its awesome and it can run on 18V, has 6 and 12 db pads, and can be used as a clean boost, and can be completely transparent if you need it to be.

5. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    That's a lot of words.

Mine's basically a pre-shaped eq curve with a single knob that controls the "girth" or "body" of the single (it basically boosts and cuts the low mids and lows while leaving a slight mid scoop and tastefully boosted highs).

I'm practicing my ad copy!

To be fair. The circuit is not original but I believe my application of it is novel.

6. Jason!

Jason!

Nov 14, 2008
    GR, MI
    There's a local TB'er w/a Berg NV215. I think I have to buy it.

7. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Youuu can dooooo iiiitttttt!!!!!

8. sorry, i misread your post, i thought you were looking at buying one.

what you have sounds very interesting. personally I am always leary of single knob pedals. I'm the type of person that wants total control over the tone of a pedal. that would be my only suggestion. of course there are many people who prefer as few knobs as possible too...

9. I use a Behringer BDI 21. It adds tone to my rig. My rig wouldn't sound as massive if I didn't have it. I know, I have accidentally stepped on it and turned it off and my tone got real thin. I won't run my rig without it now. Best $30 gear ever.

10. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Noted. At this moment, one knob is all it needs. I'm not artificially limiting controls. It's just that it's not a regular eq circuit. It was designed for one purpose and then tweaked for another purpose by me. I am looking at adding some control for the highs/presence or even a separate eq circuit in the same box but that is moving away from my original design goal. Consider is a simple "sound-better-boost".

As you can see I'm really excited about it but I'm gonna shut up now and wait until it's finished.

11. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    i try to avoid that kinda stuff personally. if i cant get the sound i want out of my amp/cab/bass, i dont have the setup i want. i used to have pre amps and equalizers and compression and a bunch of other stuff, and i got to a point where i didnt even know what was controlling what and where my sound was even coming from.

im a simple man, with simple needs damnit!

12. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    +1
    when i was playing active basses, i would set the eq flat anyway and try to get the sounds with my hands.
    A buddy of mine has an avello-coppola preamp like this and it sounds sick for funk. i've considered throwing an aftermarket preamp in a hammond box (j-retro, aguilar, etc.), but i really don't need it. I do love my sansamp bddi, but that adds some grit to the mix.

13. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    I used to have this mentality but as of late I have preferred that the sound at the end of the pedal board is "my" sound and I just choose rigs that compliment it.

14. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    holy crap! part 5?!?! what the **** did I miss?

15. Welcome back, you have a lot of reading to do. Lots of deep philosophical talk ;)

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    and boobs.. we started a Boobs of the Day email chain... MAN DID YOU MISS OUT! (who knew the Laz had SUCH a collection??!!!!)

17. Man, after hearing those samples, I think I might have to get a Magma in the future. Sometimes I hate this board.

18. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Indeed, lol

19. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I rarely even use a dirt pedal. The only other pedals I have are a (equally rarely used) reverb pedal, and a wah, which I use a bit more often for fills and things.

20. I know we may have discussed this before but there's too many posts to go through. Do any of you tune down your 4 strings to C standard and if so what strings are you using? Looking for a set for my jazz, preferably nickel. I know of Circle K but that's kind of my last choice due to the high shipping costs...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.