Stoner/Doom Bassists 72: tubes and pubes

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Korladis, Sep 10, 2013.

1. I don't have the know how to doing anything other than screwing parts on a body I find, why I am asking the 51 P bass builder to kindly put extra pickup routs on it for me to have a 3 pup version. Dimarzio bass pups that were stock on Ibby Roadstars are potent super punchy versions of traditional p and j pups. I think you may want to go with some of their other types they or other companies sell to try and get different than the usual jazz type tones, but not sure what to go with other than reading reviews and looking at the graphs of frequencies you want, hopefully someone knows, the nicest most usuable to me in so much as my personal favorite bass tones, jazz bass was a MIJ Fender Jazz with Bartolinis in it. For balls out p or jazz bass rock those stocker Dimarzio pups that Ibanez, Vantage, etc used back in the day kick arse IMHO, and you can probably land some on ebay from like a build sell off or something like that if you want traditional sound with extra pound.
    I saw a guy stain a les paul with pen ink using only tape to mask and it came out pretty darn good. Sorry if I am rambling I get off on parts guitar builds.

2. I love pedals that are dirty sexy on the inside as well as the outside, Killer!!!

3. Satyrnine

Satyrnine

Aug 22, 2012
    Madison, WI

5. Ok need new thread titles.

6. Oh make sure you talk to this dude, he gives 10% off to Doomers, and man he will build to what you want. I almost forgot to mention him because I have been waiting to order pups from him after I know for sure to just get one or three if the body guy does the routs or not for me.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/toez10/m.html?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654
    bullockguitarpickups.com
    Super cool dude that takes the time to find out the gear you own and the woods you are working with and your tonal goals.
    Tell em Samsquanch1972 sent ya if you go for your discount

7. Hven't tried the J, but I have had the Aguilar P for a few weeks now and I really like. very similar to the Fralin, maybe a tad warmer. Not enough to notice a difference in out type of music though. Fralin, Lollar, Nordstrand and Aguilar seem to be all in that same 60s Fender family. Personally I prefer lower output pickups, they bring out more of the intrument's character and the low end never gets boomy. I just compensate for the reduced volume with my amp or pedals.

8. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    S/D # 73: Women = _______ or none more doom.

9. Four Minutes of Fury
    Kawai Style

10. 73 Women we all love them in our own special ways...

11. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I'm interested in talk involving J pickups, although the Duncan designed ones in that Squier should be pretty good.

12. They are, I played that model, and was completely surprised how well they nailed that vintage jazz tone IMHO. Had plenty of jazzes over the years and the MIJ with Barts and The Ibby Roadstar Dimarzios and the Squire Duncan Designed were the three favorite jazz bass pups I played and loved the sounds of.

13. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I endorse either of these.

OR

She thought I looked like Hitler.

14. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Pt. 73 - Shark week

15. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Bass drops and breakdowns since 2009

Jul 8, 2011
    Southwest Florida
    I'm interested in what you guys think about a U Bass in doom. I just got one and have been fiddling around with it in all genres. It's probably never gonna be a super popular thing, especially not in any kind if rock or metal, but I think the time has a special place in music. It's very bassy and boomy without being overwhelming. It's a really clean and clear tone without being too bright. Only trouble I'm having is with the sustain. It's certainly not gonna drone on for more than 5 or 10 seconds. Any ideas for experimenting with this sound? Fuzz? Compression? OD? After class today, I'm hoping I can go home and start playing around on it and I wanna try to get some sound clips up at some point.

16. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Pink jazz came loaded with Duncan sjb-1 "vintage jazz bass" pickups. Strings are dead ass hell and bass needs a set up so jury is still out. They have potential and was almost on par with the jazz I sold. If I end up not liking them my buddy has a set of 62 RI pups to try after that ill probably try the aguilars. Let's hope I don't need to change anything.

17. 73 Squanch Got Himself Banned From TB :D

18. Satyrnine

Satyrnine

Aug 22, 2012
    Madison, WI

19. Hot can be a little too much with bass too, I did feel the Roadstar Stock Dimarzios at times were too hot to tame down, and would roll the volume back and tone back. It is proabaly harder to control hot from the start then add boost to tamer pups later, but maybe that helps in a band setting, I am just an armchair player.

20. no my Aguilar P is not the "hot" version.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021