Stoner/Doom Bassists 72: tubes and pubes

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Korladis, Sep 10, 2013.

1. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI

Lee Sklar has quite a DOOMy beard so Id say the UBass could work.

2. When I see those tiny little buggers I think the 1 2 3 4 and 1 2 4 upper register finger pattern debate and that must be the 1 2 method, that thing just looks like it would be mandolin tiny hard to play

3. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    I'd own one if they could do it in long scale. From what I understand those rubber strings don't like the tension. Rubber strings sounds like a sweet idea.
    I couldn't handle 30" scale that dinky toy would just confuse me.

4. Oh yeah there is that other bass with those rubber strings too
    I bet the ladies would love 30 inches covered in rubber...
    View attachment 363473

5. Oh one last funny thing about the thread title. The lunchroom talk by the ladies while I was in the kitchen was how they love facial hair, and hairy chests. They only like certain actors when they aren't clean shaven, but, but, but they want those kibbles and bits clean and neat. The one gal even said when you gonna grow a beard or goatee Joe, not sure if she wants me to hide my face or not lol. So men Stoner Rock for the win.
    73 Hair above but not below the Equator

6. Auspex

Auspex

Jan 30, 2013
    Boise, Idaho
    Just watched a Netflix show called "Classic Albums" about the Black Album two nights ago.

Damn, some of the tones in that album are so big and heavy. But, holy ****, Metallica are nutso.

Lars - Ego beyond ego
    Kirk - No confidence in abilities
    James - WAAAAY to self critical. Almost made me cringe
    Jason - LOL

7. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    nick, one more outburst and you will be tagged on every nuvember post come Nov 1.

youve been warned.

8. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    its the best recorded heavy album in the history of heavy music.

not even open for discussion lol.

9. This is a joke right, dry humor from BeeBass, I'm confused

10. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    This ^

11. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Probably sound like a regular J. I've been doing variable tap/shunts with push/push bypasses every chance I get. It acts as a passive mid control on most humbuckers. Also push/push series/parallel goes all middy to scoopey.

My only luck with the faux binding was by over-taping, then going a bit (<1/16") into the wood with an xacto to trim the tape to shape and separate the wood slightly, though I never got it as perfect as I wanted. I've been considering running a bit of wax or really slow-penetrating filler/sealer under the tape prior to cutting, just for perfection's sake. I haven't had the time for that one yet. Experiment on scrap, as usual.

On my v's and explorers, I put an oval-round on the top edge to soften it while not killing the look, and slant the back to thin the side up and give the playing area a bit of a leaning-back feel- really kills the balance if I make it as comfy as I want, unless its got a really thin neck or the neck is made of something like cedar.

I always thought the loads were their ultimate sell out, and that Black was just the turning point...

12. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

See, with my luck, if I smoked, this would definitely happen to me.

13. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I like the Fender tele headstock better than the regular one. But like all of Gibson's headstocks better than any of the Fender ones.

14. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

In terms of music composition, I like the previous albums better... but it's definitely the best sound they ever got on an album.

15. Kinda/sorta how I always looked at the Black album.

Still heavy, still metal.... they just kinda' went more 'straight forward' with the song structures as opposed to more progressive, longer tracks. And sometimes thats exactly what i'm in the mood for. Plus the production IS damn good too, no doubt about that.

Maybe it's also sentimental value. I'm 33. The black album hit right around when I was really discovering and getting into music in general, and metal in particular. Hell, I did a sort of 20th anniversary tribute to the album that played a key role in my later interests with this cover... more of a medley, done in my own ****** style of course :D :

Load-era is well... a different band pretty much entirely, from sound, to look, to perspective. And I think had any other band made those albums, a band with less of a 'known' history... well, they wouldn't be quite so put down. There more than decent 'rock' records. Much better than what passes for modern rock these days, really... at least in terms of the neutered, super-safe, superficial **** you hear on the radio and whatnot. But for Metallica to have put them out is odd to me. I mean, I get what they were trying to do, and I respect any musicians right to grow and experiment... but just wasn't really my cup of tea.

Now, Death Magnetic showed promise but that awful, dry, brittle, and brickwalled to hell and back production really did a disservice to the record. Not that I'm hung up on production mind you... I mean, I like old-school black metal, so yeah. But a band of Metallica's type and available resources... it just makes no sense for that album to turn out the way it did. I can't even see it as a 'creative statement'. No... the production just sucked. But the songs had promise.... however, I gotta say, the lyrics we're pretty lame on some songs too. Don't let Lars near a pen and that should hopefully be corrected.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021